"burning" live rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by bmshehan, Jan 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Actually the method use is a good method to kill everything. It will not cause a cycle because there is not any decomposing matter. In an established tank, as additional rock, it will quickly be repopulated with good Bacteria

J

2. Click Here!

3. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

what about putting the rock in an oven and wash with fresh water?

1 person likes this.
  4. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

ok but most of my lr has clams tunicates,squirts,scalops and such living all through it.if i did that to my rock it would just be lr full of dead junk thats all through the rock.

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

boiling it, baking it and various other ways will kill off everything as well. Im sure it works since tangy has done it several times over the years. I just dont like the idea of using bleach on rock thats going into a salt tank.

Just be sure to scrub the rock before you put it back into the tank. Even though everything is dead on it, dead stuff will still decay and start the notrogen cycle.

6. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

When doing the rinse soak it's a good idea to add a good shot of dechlorinator to help remove the bleach.

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

The 3 days of baking soda and RO/DI water will neaturalize the bleach that was added. Then all you do is lay the rock out to dry for a couple weeks and it's then ready for the tank. It's Tangster no algae way to start a tank and I am proof it works but your cycle of a new tank is 12 weeks and most people are too impatience to wait that long.
    All you are really doing is making base rock. Some people think that you are killing all the diversity on the rock but do you truly know what is in that rock you are adding to your tank.:-/ PO[SUB]4[/SUB], hitchhickers,...etc. I want to know exactly what goes in my tank. Most people I talk to say it is extreme but my tank doesn't look like an algae farm either.
    Inwall has given me other ways to nuke rock if you are interested I will send it to you or you can ask him. I just got done nuking about 120lb of rock that I am adding to my sump and getting rid of the baffles I have in there plus to have more LR in the system.
    You will hear all kinds but most of it is hear say. Do it right and dont cut corners and you will be just fine.

8. Click Here!

9. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Bryce we need to get over to check out Otty's tank sometime soon.

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Let me know when you are coming and I'll lay some beef out of the deep freeze so we can eat.;D

11. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

im with geek on this one which is why i have suggested different ideas to clean the rock of unfriendlies.

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Believe me you won't have to scrub anything off this rock, it will be floating on top of the water at the end of the bleach soak in clumps.