Bulkhead Leaks

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Ballgame, Jul 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Haha thanks. I'm colorblind. Well partially. Purple looks blue. Brown looks green. Think it's called blue/green colorblindness.
    Green on a stop light looks white. I'm a mess.
    Glad to know that's not toxic. Thought I really screwed up.

4. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

I glues elbow but still have a very small leak. Which tells me I had 2 leaks. Ultimate I need to redo bulkhead attachment. I'll do that soon.
    But turned on pump and ran for a couple days. Wow it's LOUD!
    The water in overflow is loud and water going into sick is super loud! Going to add a couple of those plastic sponges. What else can I do?
    And I have Purigen and a hang on back skimmer. What else should be in my sump?

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

What do you have for a standpipe? If it is not flowing with a smooth laminar flow it will lead to noise.

Is your line to the sump or sock submerged so you don't get a crashing sound?

What size disolay and sump do you have and what size is your return pump?

6. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Read my mind on the sump sock. Tomorrow going to get an extension to run into water inside sock
    The overflow should take care of itself once I get rid if that loop. Haven't done that yet because busy weekend.
    But as usual you're in the money with submerging in sock.

90g DY with Eshopes 100 sump. Not sure on sump size per gallon.
    But only Purigen inside. I feel like I'm missing something. Usually skimmer go in there but using the hang on skimmer from the 60g I just upgraded from.

Thanks! You guys are so helpful and gracious with your time and info.

7. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

I'll post pics when I get home. Ran kids to the pool. HOT in Philly

8. Click Here!

9. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Quick pics.
    90g

image.jpg

Top. I have a sponge to try to reduce sound. Water overflowing overflow is loud.

image.jpg

Sump eig Purigen. Anything else I need in here?
    image.jpg

Sump. Need to get extension to submerge water entry to reduce sound. LOUD

image.jpg

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

The pic of your overflow box is so dark I can't make anything out. Is the white PVC street elbow the top of a standpipe? How does it get air? How far below the teeth is the top of the standpipe or water level in the overflow box when in operation? How are the returns plumbed? What return pump do you have and does it have a valve on the discharge side so you can adjust return flow to quiet the overflow and fine tune the flow rate or velocity through the sump?

I run GFO and GAC in my sumps, in separate Phosban 150 reactors on my 100 G and in bags in my nano tanks. I like separate medias since they have different useful lives and different flow requirements. Decades ago I used Chemipure but found it did not work as well as carbon and ferric oxide and was pretty expensive in comparison.

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

The grey hose looks like it bends and goes back up hill?

+1 for an extension to the water.
    Hopefully you can put one that simply slips on. Just in case it needs to come off for sock replacement. The water line seems kind of low so I would imagine if you put an extension down to the water it will be hard to get the sock off. Maybe not though.

AZ mentioned laminar flow. The more you can get the wAter to ease its way down like a water slide the quieter. Vs. Falling straight down.

I think if you get a ball valve coming out of pump and tune down the flow it will take care if most noise.

12. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Finally think it's fixed. Awful experience trying to plumb this tank. Should be so much easier
    Recap bulkhead leaking because I screwed a coupling on it. As it turns out it wasn't the bulkhead, instead it was an elbow piece unglued and the coupling itself. Coupling upside down! D'oh! It's been such a struggle and I leave for vacation tomorrow. I glued elbow piece and replaced part of coupling. That fixed leak. I should go on inside of bulk but ran out if time. That's for another day
    Drain flex tubing had a loop. Even fixing this was a pain.
    Here is what I have. Doesn't leak (as of right now :) ).

This looks so easy right? It's not haha
    image.jpg