Bulkhead Leaks

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Ballgame, Jul 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I have a Bulkhead Installation Tips sticky post here on 3Reef and a few other forums that should give you lots of good information and things to look for.
    http://www.3reef.com/threads/bulkhead-installation-tips.111422/
    First off, the external threads on the bulkhead are not standard tapered pipe threads so are never intended to have plumbing screwed on them. Their sole purpose is to thread the straight thread jamb nut on to hold the bulkhead in place. Only use the internal surfaces, slip or threaded (I always recommend thread x thread bulkheads) for PVC or other plumbing. The straight threads will not tighten up and seal even though you may get a fitting to thread on about 1-2 threads.

In the sticky post I talk about gaskets, tapes or sealants and many other common issues and misconceptions.

Billme, Matt Rogers and zesty like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

This was one of the more confusing things when I first got a bulkhead. However, AZD had me covered with that sticky!

4. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Thanks!!! I'll check that link. Guess that's my problem because I did thread to bulkhead. Had my father in law help me align my plumbing and as I made cuts. He thought was being helpful and glued almost all the pieces together.
    Looks I have to redo my entire connection. Rather so this now

5. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Anyone have a picture of their return bulkhead connection? As a reference. Thanks

6. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I don't have a picture, but I have a brs video where he shows the correct way to put them on. Start at 1:53 for how to install them, earlier in the video he does talk about the slip vs threaded types.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
  7. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

8. Click Here!

9. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

It's works. Thanks
    I have that white plumbers tape that you put on the threads before screwing on coupling. That will seal the threads from leaking. I can get the coupling pretty far up bulkhead which is why I assumed it was a
    good fit. Adding tape might work but seems like after a while will leak.
    Or redo entire connection. My dumb FIL glued all my elbows so would need to buy those over again in order to go inside bulkhead. Still want the coupling so I can pull plumbing out. Will then have to somewhere along people that's horizontal to floor.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Teflon tape should not be used on bulkheads and PVC fittings. Spears Mfg., the largest PVC manufacturer in the world has an article on this on their website. They, like myself, recommend a thread lubricant designed specifically for PVC threads such as the LaCo PVC stick I link to in my sticky post.

I would take it apart and do it correctly now, much easier than later when you have corals and fish to contend with.

I am not a fan of solid PVC plumbing myself, especially near the return pump where it transmits sound due to vibrations in the pump. I always place a ball valve near the pump to fine tune return flow, a union and then transition to a thread x barbed nipple and piece of reinforced vinyl tubing to break up vibrations and sound. Form there I use a thread x barbed nipple and union threaded to my bulkhead. This also takes any stress of the pump due to misalignments and makes it super easy to remove the pump for cleaning and maintenance.

On the overflow you need to shorten the flex tube and get rid of the loop for a straight, unrestricted flow from the standpipe to the sump. That loop is going to cause air lock or air binding and cause a flood.

zesty and Matt Rogers like this.
  11. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Thank you. You're right on flow. I turned this one for an hour or so. Leak and all just to see how it would work. It's so loud! Water going into sump filter sock it loud. And pulsates probably because I have that loop. LFS has the loop and they told me how to do this. But probably air pocket at top preventing flow.
    And overflow is loud.
    Ugh I need to fix this right. Will start tomorrow
    Thanks for info

12. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

image.jpg image.jpg Ok think I have this figured out but have a question. Found out my elbows weren't glued and one connection didn't seem tight. So I glued them.
    But here is my question. Is the blue primer toxic? Didn't realize but some dripped past where I glued. It's dry so can't get off. Is this a problem? Will this kill whatever in my tank? Very small amount. It's dry even though looks wet.