Bulk Reef Supply's Carbon + GFO Reactor Review

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by jeffers0n, Oct 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

I have one and I LOVE it! It is amazing! You can't beat it for the price and quality! It is a definite "A+" for BRS on this one!

2. Click Here!

3. threephase37

threephase37 Fire Worm

I love mine, the only draw back is it doesnt burp itself like the next model up but thats it. excellent value!!!

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I have the dual and wished I had got two singles. The dual works well but I am constantly watching the flow rate for the GFO to keep it tumbling.

5. jeffers0n

jeffers0n Feather Duster

It is definatley the easiest reactor to change. And, yes, I have just one reactor and i run both medias.

6. zzzzzzzzpr

zzzzzzzzpr Purple Spiny Lobster

i was wondering do you have to use the special carbon for the reactor? is there a cheaper place to buy the media like petco or petsmart. how ofton do you change the media? i know carbon should be around a month but what about the gfo? just trying to do this cheap if i can so the wife doesnt stay mad for to long. i expect ill need more carbon then gfo rite. when i was seeing how much it was going to be i had 3lbs carbon and 1 lb gfo. sound about rite?

7. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

This BRS media reactor is really solid and does a great job. I've had 2 single reactors (x1 GFO, x1 Carbon) for about 2 years and love 'em. pretty quiet maxi pumps, easy to maintain, and keeps my tank algae free and the water looking nice and crisp.
    -
    To anyone looking to buy this reactor i would highly recommend buying the single reactor as oppose to the duel reactor. The duel reactor requires more monitoring of the GFO flow rate as the carbon media is slowly spent. having 2 single reactors allows you to control the flow rates of both independently.
    -
    within about 3 weeks the GFO starved out the aiptasia that were in my tank along with the hair algae on my LR.
    Its also important to note that you should address the initial cause of what created the algae bloom in the first place.. But the GFO reactor is great for keeping it in check.

8. Click Here!

9. zzzzzzzzpr

zzzzzzzzpr Purple Spiny Lobster

im looking at useing justone for my tank atm since its small. thats why i have the post before this one.

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I have two of these one for carbon and one for BP. Just would like to comment on Snooks post. The carbon should be at the top of the reactor not the bottom. When adding the carbon you want to press the lower sponge up into the carbon and other sponge at the top of the reactor. This will stop the sponge from floating.;) Love these!!!!

11. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Anyone have any pictures of thiers? I mean as far as placement & how its set up?

I keep fighting a small cyano issue in my 29g. The tank is sumpless and running a CPR aquafuge with simmer built in. I'm just trying to figure if I can put it down under the stand or if thats too much head pressure for it on the return side? If it has to go up like hanging on the side then it would detract too much visually. I know the easy answer would of course be go sump, but trying not to go that route.

12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Here you go.
    This is the BP reactor, I have it almost even with the level of my sump. I am using an MJ1200 on it.I like this pump but for anything with more then 12" of head height I would suggest a larger one.

[​IMG]

I have the carbon reactor right above it.About 22" of head height. I am using an mj900 on this as you kinda want this running more slowly.

[​IMG]

You will want to buy a few more push connect fittings to customize the install as the tubing is fairly rigid.
    Heres a pic of my other carbon reactor so you can see how it should look with media.(rox carbon)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
    1 person likes this.