Bulk Reef Supply Video

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by PghSteeler, Feb 2, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Im assuming many of you also get the emails from bulk reef supply with the educational video sessions. I recently got one about a Red Sea Pro color program. I also googled it and watched a youtube video from Red Sea about the same thing.

Basically, it ties in with their coral colors testing kit annd breaks down all the major trace elements into 4 groups based on another key element that we can test for. It talked about dosing based on calcium as well as other testable elements.

Where I get confused is it talked about dosing based upon calcium uptake in general, and also using the other test kits for potassium, iodide, and iron. I guess they did some research where they tested for these other elements and were able to determine a correlation with calcium use so that if you use 10ml of their reef foundation for calcium you need 1 ml of each trace element bottle. BRS was nice enough to convert that so if you use BRS additives it is 50ml to 1ml of Red Sea Colors. Then it talked about that method not allowing for ALL processes in the tank and that is easily fixed by testing with the color test kit for the 3 elements and each one corresponds to one of the bottles to determine a dosing regimen.

Thinking this may be a good idea, esp for us who do less water changes and use heavier filtration methods and do not replinish these trace elements as often through frequent water changes and fresh salt!! However I am not sure hot accurate these coral color kits are and how well we can tie it to calcium uptake. I know Biocube did something awhile back with the test kit and dosing his tank for these trace elements but never did follow up on the thread to see any results.

2. Click Here!

3. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

I started using Coral Colors about 4 month ago. Since I use BRS 2-part dosing with pumps, I know exactly how much BRS calcium I dose every day. Back then, I calculated how much ppm of calcium that is, and figured out red sea colors amount. Glad it came to same number as what they've just calculated :)

In any case, I do 20% water changes about once a month, sometimes every month and a half. Not as often as most I think. And since I've started using Coral Colors, my corals really colored up. I'll post some before/after shots later today.

Interestingly enough, SPS polyps look about the same as they did, it's skeletons that changed color an became much more vibrant. Some corals I always thought just having white/pale skeletons, are now greenish or bluish.

Some polyps did become more vibrant, mainly purples and reds.

4. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Thanks for sharing your experience!! I am very tempted to start this program once I track my CA usage closer. I used to do a 5gal WC weekly on my 46gal but now upgraded to a 65gal and added a skimmer and plan on only doing 1 10gal WC monthly. I had my pumps turned off for awhile and didnt do testing for many months due to buying a house and recently just started this back online.