( Bulb Flickering) Phoenix 14k vs Radium 20k 150w DE Halide

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by pink4miss, May 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Some bulbs are just more picky than others. I run a phoenix on a galaxy select on a Gallaxy select a watt ballast. It runs fine on the electronic ballast setting, but is definitely brighter on the HQI setting. Actually enough so that when I switched from electronic to HQI setting it belched all of my chalice corals LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

hate to be such a pain but do you know if the e ballasts are as good as im reading. such as this one? http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/lumatek-dimmable-150w-175w-250w-electronic-remote-ballast.html will they run the radium well? whats your thoughts? as you can see im clueless.:confused: im also blonde can i use that for an excuse? ;D haha j/k seriously i just need a ballast that will run the radium 20k 150w at peak. a name and its on order. :p lol

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Not a pain at all LOL. I can't say how a radium will run on the lumatek. It is a very good ballast. It is an e-ballast, not an electronic ballast, so, it may run better idk, however, there is no 150W HQI setting, the only available HQI mode is for 250HQI. I am running the Galaxy Select-a-watt, which is very similar, both Galaxy and Lumatek are owned and operated by Sunlight Supply Co. I just went with Galaxy as they have always been the goto workhorse ballast makers for as long as I can remember. Lumatek is newer.

If your set on Radiums, unfortunately, PFO, who was king of HQI ballasts went out of business. The only true HQI 150W ballast left on the market, that I'm aware of is the Aquamedic Reflex 150W Cube ballast:
    150W Reeflex Cube HQI Ballast by Aqua Medic* - AquaCave

The Aquamedic will drive a 150W HQI bulb at about 225W, rather than about 165W with an electronic ballast. However, it will also produce about 30% more PAR, so, it's not really less efficient as some claim. 225W is more electricity than 165W though and the ballast will run a bit warmer and probably a bit noisier.

Hopefully someone else can comment on a Radium with an e-ballast.

5. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

it appears the flickering is slowing up it seems to just do a slight flick from time to time. the bulb is burning in and i can see it looks a bit bluer than when i first put it in. either that or im getting used to it? is it normal for them to get bluer after the 100hour burn in? its still not as blue as the phoenix, which makes me happy.

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

LOL, usually they get whiter...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I think it will. Mine went ice white, then pretty blue for about 2 months and now a nice balance. I only run my bulb around 6 hours a day.

8. Click Here!

9. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

it figures LOL i am hoping to not have to get a new ballast. the thought of having to rewire that light doesn't thrill me. why couldnt they make the ballast fit all whats with these different plug ins? uuuurrrggghh

mine runs 12 hours a day :eek: since its the only light over the tank. ( no actinic )

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

well the bulb wont run on my ballast, i had to remove it and put the phoenix back in. the radium just shut down twice. so i thought its best to pull it than to run it and have that going on, :-/ it could damage the bulb.
    the phoenix is about 9 months old running 12 hours a day. i will either have to buy a new ballast or another bulb. buying another phoenix is the cheaper route at this time. 45.99 shipped to me. :confused: