Building my own Stand - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Glipzcom, Nov 25, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

they are strips of metal you bend into place then put screws through that piece their cheap and very handy, commonly used in roofs

2. Click Here!

3. gobywankenobi

gobywankenobi Plankton

when i built my 55 stand, i laid 2x4's on the flat (like the sill plate of a house, good idea for weight distribution), and sistered 2, 2x4s together for each of the corners(standing vertical) with single ones in the center. then i laid more 2x4s on the flat again which the tank sits on. i heard of people putting plywood on the top of the stand for the tank to sit on, does anybody else do that? seems like a moisture trap to me.

4. Brian

Brian Astrea Snail

Screw Strips are just another piece of 2x4 or whatever you use, cut them 1" shorter then your stand so when you mount them, they are 1/2" from the top and bottom of the stand. Make sure you use some sort of clamp to hold the first one in cause it will make everything else square. If you dont, then you're likely to have something leaning so it will never be level.

If you have any questions, give just PM me...

1 person likes this.