Building a Weir style Overflow

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by dx7fd2, Jul 1, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chris Jones

Chris Jones Feather Duster

[quote author=JohnO link=board=DIY;num=1088694760;start=45#49 date=07/27/04 at 18:44:53]

Luckily(?) the water ran down a power cord and blew up the power point and fuse LOL

John
    [/quote]
    Funny way to look at it, but with the alternative???

BTW, how do you make the post say "Quote" and not what i have which is "john Wrote"....
    Any way, the holes in my "boat" was to get the torpedoes and missiles out!!!LOL ;)

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Elementary, my dear Doctor.  Just reply to the message, highlight the text you wish to quote, click on the  second last YABBC tag ( looks like a sheet of paper with an arrow pointing to the right ), script box appears that should already have the text you highlighted earlier.  Click OK.

You can also just copy and paste the text into the script box as well :)

Quite right!   ;D ;D ;D

John

4. calireefer

calireefer Plankton

Just wanted to tell you a story about my tank overflowing. I am using a cpr overflow, it had one air hole drilled at the top of the u that I connected to an aqualifter pump. This worked great for about a month. Then I come home one day to a wet floor and a moth stuck in the air hole which caused the overflow to lose suction eventualy.

I am still using the overflow but I drilled a second hole at the top of the u. Now the pump has two air/water holes to draw from. I feel much more at ease with this mod in place and have, on several occasions seen one or the other holes plugged up, somtimes its from bugs that fall in my tank and if you add live rock directly from a styrofoam box, the few small pieces of foam you don't see will eventually find there way to your overflow. Hope this helps, good luck with yours.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  5. sire_andre

sire_andre Plankton

ei there!!!

hi i'm andre from the philippines, i'm just a newbie and i just got my fish in last week, i gota 55 gal tank, and i'm currently using a overflow right now and i read articles about weirs and i'm knda thinking of replacing my overflow.what's the advantages of a weir from an overflow?

6. sire_andre

sire_andre Plankton

hi it's me again

well, how does it really works?;D ;D ;D ;D feel free to write me back at my emaial address.

[email protected]

7. Fishfingers

Fishfingers Astrea Snail

I think if you were to drill a small hole in the peak of the overfow syphon area and feed that tube first through a quality check valve (with no metal parts) and then to a small venturi intake located in you return piping, you would have a constant draw to remove bubbles from collecting.

This, of course, becomes a bit of a maintenance item to watch so that it doesn't become clogged and rendered useless.

Food for thought ...

8. Click Here!

9. slowleak

slowleak Feather Duster

just to make things a little clearer...

your weir or siphon can run at max 100 gph.

your return pump at max only runs 75 gph.

does the siphon constantly run at max capacity, or will after time it balance out and match the flow of the return pump?

seems to me it would be the later, seeing as there wouldnt be as much pressure forcing the water through the siphon.