Building a Weir style Overflow

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by dx7fd2, Jul 1, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Matt Rogers link=board=DIY;num=1088694760;start=15#29 date=07/26/04 at 21:06:41]What's the prob John? Are you watching American TV?  ;D
    Ben that was a good post. I never paid that much attention to the partition in the box before. Seems to make sense to me.[/quote]

Yeah too much TV is probably the problem :)

I think I am suffereing from post POST depression or something :)

I reckon I will just have to go and see one of these things actually working ( without any means of water flow control ) to convince myself it actually will work unsupervised and wont sh*t itself when the power goes off LOL

I certainly hope no one thinks that I am being difficult, it's just that I am inquisitive(sp).

John

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

WIsh I had one to send you.
    If you were closer I would throw it at you. ;D
    j/k

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

You don't scare me mate :) You probably couldn't tear the skin off custard :)

John ;-)

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Never heard that one before! ;D

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Well, you should pay a little more attention shouldn't you? LOL

Finally got some water in my tank last night, will post some pics soon, in a different thread

John

7. Redbeard

Redbeard Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Didn't mean to confuse you, sorry. :huh:

Naturally if your pump exceeds your drain capacity you would have to divert some of the flow back to the sump or restrict it. I've heard that gate valves are easier to tweak than ball valves. Don't know, never tried it.

I over-sized the overflow drain on my system to accommodate surges, (my) arms in the tank, debris restricting the drain etc. (Honey, I found Spongbob!). :eek:

Ted

8. Click Here!

9. Redbeard

Redbeard Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Oh yeah, I forget to mention that in the case of a power outage, the water in the tank would simply drain back to the sump until it dropped to the low water level set by the skimmer box, just like with a drilled tank. With no water being pumped to the tank there's no water draining back to the sump.

The only way the siphon would break is if there were enough dissolved gas in the water to create an air bubble big enough to break it when it came out of solution. In that case the venturi pump would suck out the air and start the siphon when the power was restored.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good point about the gate valve Ted.
    And thanks for joining. :)

(Look forward to pics John!)

11. Chris Jones

Chris Jones Feather Duster

John, :-* the overflow will work automatically right up to the capacity limitations that i mentioned above, hence the same amount of water flows out and down as is returned by the pump.
    once you exceed the limitation of the GPH of the siphon cavity capacity, or the down-pipe capacity, you will have to increase one or the other, or both.
    Other than that you could adjust the return rate of the pump as DX will do with the tee off at the sump. so if your pump will move 900 GPH but the overflow can only handle 750, you would throttle or divert 150-200 GPH with the valve on the output of the return pump, or get a second overflow.
    those are your adjustment options. :eek: ;D

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Dear Doctor,

That was my point exactly :) Others were saying that the flow rates would automatically match each other. My statement was that they wouldn't and you would need to be able to control one or the other. DX is doing this by the use of a tee section as you mentioned.

John :)