Building a 90g Stand

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by starrookie, Sep 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. starrookie

starrookie Plankton

I am currently building a stand for my new 90g tank. I have everything bought and am ready to start the finishing touches but I am wondering if I should put some kind of sealent on the wood? I used kiln dried 2x4's and 3/4" plywood, also finishing the outside with knotty pine which I am going to stain. If i should seal the inside what should I use? There is also going to be a sump/refugium in the stand. Thanks

Chris

2. Click Here!

3. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

I painted the inside white then sealed it with polyurethane clear. Works very well.

1 person likes this.
  4. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

+1. Lots of polyurethane. Be sure to let it dry outside for a day or two as it stinks at first. The fumes can contaminate your water if you do it (or let it dry) inside.

1 person likes this.
  5. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

i didnt do anything to my stand besides stain it. but i have plenty of air flow through mine so moisture isnt an issue for me

6. gabbyr189

Lol you never splash it? Or drip on it? Sealing the wood just gives me peace of mind that the wood won't rot on me anytime in the near or distant future. I have a 90g, and it would be a pain in the neck to switch that thing to a new stand.. I would literally have to disassemble the entire setup (plumbing, sump, wiring, skimmer, etc.). I literally poured the polyurethane inside the stand and canopy ;D Especially in the cracks between the pieces of wood where the paint brush wouldn't reach. I let it dry for at least a week (mostly under the hot sun).

7. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

naahhhhh, itll be alright:) if enuff water hits it to do any long term damage i'd have bigger problems on my hands. i didnt polyurethane the floor that the tank sits on either, and if you get water in your stand, its going to go to your floor. at which point you'ld have bigger problems too.

8. Click Here!

9. starrookie

starrookie Plankton

Perfect, thanks guys. I am not going to switch over my stock from the 56g till the 90g stand is done. So staining won't be an issue. I will definitally use the poly, dunno if I'll paint the inside. The back is open so should be decent air flow but for piece of mind I think sealing it is a good idea. I will post some pictures when I get things finished up!

10. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

I used the stain that had the poly in it so I did it all in one sweep. on a dise note if you use dried pine it wont rot as fast as some people think even if it gets wet, doing a huricane houses in FL and houses in brazil it took months for rot to occure and that was in water almost everyday for more than 8 hours LOL.

If you poly that sucker I would look at teh can and the spray can to get all the cracks and crevices.

1 person likes this.
  11. gabbyr189

Good decision. It is always better to do it the right way the first time ;)

1 person likes this.