Build Thread, help me get started!

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Michael Pollard, Jun 6, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

API has given me false readings. Better to use salifert. Some here use red sea but I haven't used it so I can't comment on it. There may be other brands that are accurate. You can use any fish food. Just feed about the amount you will be feeding several fish. Some just get a raw shrimp and drop that in and let it decay.

2. Click Here!

3. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

Glad to see you are not just giving up.. I went through this whole thing a year ago. I thought that I would go through the cycle in a couple of weeks but it took much longer. It actually took my tank 6 weeks, but I only ghost fed my tank with dry rock and dry sand, but I also used a cup of sand from my buddy.

First off, never rush the cycle. Let your tank build that bacteria up you need. There will be some bacteria from the LR and the LS you put in the tank, and the Bio-Spira, but it will probably not be enough for the whole system.

Secondly, be sure you are testing, testing and testing. I think you should test at least every other day, and Keep a log. You are looking for the ammonia to spike, then start to fall, then the Nitrites should spike and start to fall, next the Nitrates will rise. The cycle is over when you have 0.0 Ammonia and Nitrites, and a detectable amount of Nitrates. Remember the Nitrates are the one of the main reason we do water changes. You do not need to do any water changes until you have finished the cycle.

Third, Never add anything until you are fully cycled. All the aquatic life we put in our aquariums are at our mercy. Your tank will not have enough algae and detritus to sustain a CuC at this point. And you do not want to put the fish, no matter how hardy they say they are through the stress of a cycle.

I believe it is better to go slow and be sure before you rush and make mistakes you will regret later.

Happy reefing

Billme likes this.
  4. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

I use API as a test kit and I have tested the results with my LFS and the results are the same. Keep in mine that test kits have expiration dates.

5. Michael Pollard

Michael Pollard Astrea Snail

I have pictures!! :D

photo (4).JPG
    Note that this picture was taken before the sump was in thus why there is a bag of chaeto and a heater in the tank.

photo (6).JPG

10gal sump and a cord mess. Right after this picture I noticed my Reef Octopus Protein Skimmer had a crack in it. :( I'm working on getting it replaced now.
    photo (5).JPG

It's a little blue in this picture, but I found this little guy on the live rock piece I got! Anyone know what it is?

I ghost feed the tank today, hopefully it works. :)
    Thanks!

Corailline likes this.
  6. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Looking good Michael

7. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

Your tank looks good, I especially like the sump setup.

8. Click Here!

9. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Looking very good to start. Wait the full six weeks, don't over ghost feed, and don't let the early algae annoy and discourage you if it comes. You'll do well.

Billme likes this.
  10. Michael Pollard

Michael Pollard Astrea Snail

IMG_0961.jpg

Well, I know it's been a while since I've posted but I thought some of you might enjoy an updated picture!
    I've have dealt with a lot, lots of temperature issues and hair algae. Things are looking okay now. There is still some hair algae in this picture (the picture is about 2-3 weeks old), but even now it's a lot better.

Fish:
    1 clown
    4 blue yellow tail damsels
    1 firefish
    1 six-line wrasse

New equipment:
    Digital Aquatics Controller
    Current USA Orbit LED pro
    RO/DI unit from BRS.
    Two circulation fans, I'm not even sure the brand, they are off brand. (need new ones.)
    A BRS dual reactor (GFO and Carbon)
    I also added a black backdrop behind my tank

My current projects are to upgrade my sump to a 20 gallon long (in process) and to set up my RO/DI unit.

I've attached closer pictures of my corals.
    Thanks for reading!

Attached Files:

DSC reef likes this.
  11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Nice update, tank looks great!

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Wonderful progression, looks great.

DSC reef likes this.