Build Thread, help me get started!

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Michael Pollard, Jun 6, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Don't sell yourself short by purchasing cheap lighting.

2. Click Here!

3. Michael Pollard

Michael Pollard Astrea Snail

What brand do you guys suggest?

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

AquaticLife and Coralife are decent.:)

5. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Totally agree with Corailline; as if anyone would disagree.

LED has much going for it, but the great virtue of t5 for a beginner is it is set it and forget it. Most of the complicated decisions were made for you by the folks that made the fixture. See some options below.

Two of these for instance.... http://www.marinedepot.com/Coralife..._Fixtures-Coralife-ES08600-FILTFIT54U-vi.html

Or either of these if you prefer one fixture... http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaticL...uariums-AquaticLife-AK010352-FWLTFIT5-vi.html (I used the 6 bulb version of this one on a 60 gallon with great success and liked it)

http://www.marinedepot.com/Coralife..._Fixtures-Coralife-ES08604-FILTFIT54U-vi.html

Or if you just want the best (I'm only giving you this for window shopping, it's not great for a beginner)

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/le...le/24-1x75w-led-4x24w-t5-led-powermodule.html

Best choice would probably be one of the middle two and there are other great options out there.

Michael Pollard and Corailline like this.
  6. Michael Pollard

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for! :)

7. Michael Pollard

8. Click Here!

9. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I dint know much about Fluval lighting, but I don't think I'd risk it. My main concerns are that the 24 inch bulbs are not as powerful and the extendable legs, even if they fit, may be flimsy at full extension. I have no personal experience with the light though, so if someone does, jump in.

10. Michael Pollard

Okay, it's been a little while since I've posted here!
    Big Update: I got my protein skimmer, light hood (I went with the Coralife Lunar Aqualight), bulbs and dry live rock in from online. I waited a week and studied up some more and then made the decision Saturday night to add my water. :biggrinbounce: I have 35-39 lbs of dry live rock and 7 lbs of live rock to feed the rest. I put two bags of Caribsea live sand in the tank (I might be wrong but, I'm pretty sure they were 25 lbs bags). I wasn't smart enough to read the silicone bottle (it's aquarium safe), to see that it took 48 hours to dry, so the sump will go in tomorrow morning. So, for now, I have a heater and circulation fan in the DT for some movement. A trusted reef store told me to use Instant Ocean's Bio-Spira to help the cycle, so I sprang for it. So far, my Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia levels have been at 0 and the pH is around 7.9-8.1, and from what I've been reading, that's good!(I think?) My salinity is 1.023, I'm working on getting it up to 1.024-1.025 tomorrow when I add water to the sump. Water temp has been at 82 all day.

I have a few questions again :)

When should I get a clean up crew?
    The reef store in my area said if I used the Instant Ocean Bio-Spira, I could put clown fish in by next week, to help the cycle. I loved to hear this, but I feel like it's to good to be true, and I really don't want to rush things. Any second opinions on this?
    Is there anything else major I'm missing?
    I realized I don't have anything to test for Calcium levels, I was going to get this, but wondered if there was anything better?
    http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=579#.U7uCuvldWSo

No pictures today, I'll get some tomorrow!!
    Thank you :)

11. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

What kits are you using to test? Some kits do a poor job giving true values.The live sand may have some die off resulting in running the cycle. In order for bacteria to grow, it has to have some food. Some folks do a phantom feed by feeding the tank some fish food enter day then start testing ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate and following it through the cycle. When nothing but nitrates are showing then you are ready for some stock. It's important to stock slowly so the bacteria can ramp up as needed. Some start with snails out crabs and see how they do then add fish. That being said, by using dry rock, there is probably little die off from that therefore, probably not much to raise the nitrogen.

Zgetman likes this.
  12. Michael Pollard