Build Thread, help me get started!

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Michael Pollard, Jun 6, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Michael Pollard

Michael Pollard Astrea Snail

I'm going slow for my standards already! :) I can't actually fill my tank until around July 20th because of a multiple summer camps. I have some time to learn and read up on things, just buying essential things right now. Any tips about coral food?

I'll probably end up doing something like that. I seen people put live sand in too, is that as good as rock?

Sounds like your tank is running along smoothly! Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind!

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I have live sand in mine - about 4 inches and if I had to do it again, I'd leave it bare bottom and put in some live rock/rubble and chaeto. I don't believe the sand bed is really large enough to do anything thus is the reason I wouldn't add sand if I had to do it again.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Mr. Bill likes this.
  5. Michael Pollard

Okay, new questions!
    I read that thread, it made a lot of sense!
    I just have a question about lighting...

I can't seem to find a t5 system that has enough wattage to power four 24w bulbs. It also seems that LEDs and a lot cheeper. Should I just use LEDs?Anyone want to explain? :)

Also, for my refugium, what kind of light do I need so that the chaeto will grow?

6. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Careful which LED's you get. You'll need enough light for your tank. That may cost more than floods. But you'll save money down the line on electricity and they are cooler. Plus you won't have to replace them every year. At this point, you may want to think about what you want for critters. Clams and many corals need a lot of light.

7. Michael Pollard

So t5 for the win? :)

8. Click Here!

9. Michael Pollard

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Michael is your budget tight for lighting?
    I love T5's and there is really nothing you can not keep if you get a decent fixture with good reflectors. Things to consider are the heat T5's produce and the cost of each individual bulb.
    A lot of hobbyist now go the way of LED's, you can get a decent fixture at Reefbreeders, if money is not a huge option Radions appear to be worth the money.

Look @ the link below for window shopping.

http://www.marinedepot.com/EcoTech_...M-FILTFILD,FILTRTLE,FILTBULD,FILTFIML-ct.html

11. Michael Pollard

My budget isn't too tight. I'd honestly rather go with t5's, I'm just trying to get whats right for my tank.
    http://www.thelashop.com/fish-tank-aquarium-light-24-4x24w-t5-ho-lamp-fixture.html
    Do you think this would work? It looks legit to me.

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hmmm. I do not know, it seems like it's too good to be true. You pretty much get what you pay for with lighting.

I would look on Craiglist for a used fixture made by a brand name before I would buy that fixture.