Build Thread, help me get started!

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Michael Pollard, Jun 6, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

congratulations on the stand! I am with servillius, about 30-40 pounds of rock total should be great! It's really good if you can, to buy the rock so you can see what you're getting. Check out the rock at your LFS that you're going to visit. If they have some nice rock, I'd opt to buy it (you want some nice, porous pieces with hopefully a good amount of coralline on it (deep purple with pinks) on it) this can save you on shipping cost as well. Dry rock, you can order online since the shipping will be minimal unless your LFS has that too (should be fairly cheap).

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

4. Michael Pollard

Michael Pollard Astrea Snail

Today's update:

Went to the reef store. They have a lot of good stuff when it comes to fish and corals but their pumps and supplies were really expensive :/
    They had a huge selection of live and dead rock, which is a good resource.

I got a return pump rated 264-449gph with an adjustable flow rate.

I found a circulation fan/pump and bought it. It's rated for 500gph. It looks small, is this what I need? Do I need something bigger, or do I not even need it?

One thing that I'm confused about still, what else do I put in my sump besides a protein skimmer?

Thanks again! :)

5. Michael Pollard

Question time!

I found Instant Ocean Aquarium salt and Instant Ocean Reef Crystals Salt Mix. Which one do I need,or do I need both?
    I also found coral food? I'm confused on what that even is.

6. oldfishkeeper

you can put a variety of things in your sump. How many compartments will you have?

Instant Ocean is a good salt to use. Many have used it for many years. I'd just buy the instant ocean regular. You may want to switch to the crystals once you start keeping more corals although that would not be mandatory - many long-term hobbyists use instant ocean.

In terms of coral food, you don't need to buy that at this point. Again, another thing that will vary in terms of hobbyists. Some feed regularly, intermittently, and some not at all. Your coral can get what it needs food wise just from feeding your fish. The one coral type I've found that really does benefit from feedings are LPS.

7. Michael Pollard

Well, I haven't made my sump yet. I was going to have three, but I'll make as many compartments as I can if I need to.

8. Click Here!

9. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

The return pump sounds about right. The power head (circulation pump) is necessary. I've been using one about the same as that for about a year. It really will move the water in your tank. The fish will be fine but some of the corals like hammer or torch corals will have to be placed carefully. SPS corals like a lot of flow but even they prefer a wave motion. I just got a wave maker today and it seems much better.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  10. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

IO is good for fish only. Reef crystals are better for coral tanks. Go with reef crystals. As for coral food, sounds like you have a lot to learn before that discussion happens.

Go slow...

11. oldfishkeeper

if you go with three compartments, this is what I would suggest - one section for chaeto and some additional live rock, skimmer, and then return section.

12. brad22773

brad22773 Plankton

Michael Pollard,
    I too am new to the saltwater community and have learned quite a bit. I have a Oceanic 125 gallon tank and was trying to learn everything you have been asking. The LPS told me this would get me started and not really have to do a lot of adding of equipment to use the Eshopps product ( I have the EShopps 150 Wet/Dry ) I actually had the 200 series but I couldn't get it to fit under my tank in the cabinet without cutting a lot of wood out. Again I m new to the hobby but these ( correct if I am wrong guys/gals actually can act something like a sump ).I just don't have room to put any unruly fish in mine if it starts throwing fits in the big tank....LOL. So basically all I really have to buy now is a skimmer to go down in the wet/dry and I should be good ...I HOPE:)