Build it your self refugium on ebay

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Reefer Madness, Jan 15, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1sleeper

1sleeper Astrea Snail

Thanks Blade, that is encouraging.
    Otty, I started using that baffle material I bought and didn't like the whole look of it. I'm a little bit of a neat freak and maybe a little OCD:wreck: . I can't wait to modify something and polish it.
    I couldn't sleep with those ugly baffles in there. Figured I could always cut the silicone if I had to. If you ever need extra gasket let me know.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

And there I thought the EPDM was neat. :D

Lets see, OCD and playing with Marine tanks. How unusual. :laugh: Good thing I don't have any current pictures of my sump in my gallery with all the jury rigged stuff hanging off it. You would loose it. :tongue4: :devilish:

4. 1sleeper

1sleeper Astrea Snail

LMAO! Yeah, don't show me that.:wreck:

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Your gonna go crazy in about 2 months after that fuge has run, it will look nasty.:rolleyes3 Neat is for the display tank not the sump/fuge. That thing will be a slimy mess.......:bigcry:

6. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Awww

But it's really cool chaos and has taken on a life of it's own in more ways than 1. The refuge and the propogation sections and all the DIY stuff supporting it are just out of control.:rolleyes3 :drool:

7. 1sleeper

1sleeper Astrea Snail

Yeah, I guess I'll have to deal with that. I'm a construction guy and have had to get down and dirty often. Yet, initially this hobby skeeved me out a little. It is kind of nasty until you get used to it. My tank smelled a little during the cycle and I thought I made a big mistake. I'll stick my whole arm in now. lol

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Test you water now and keep an eye on it for the next couple of weeks to see if your fuge is doing what you wanted it to. I have some Mangroves coming in from Hawaii that I am adding to my sump chamber for fast flow and putting my calurpa and cheato in a seperate 5 1/2 tank that has it's own feed from the OF so I can slow it down and still cycle the water fast through my sump. With the pump I bought and the high head I have, I can still get about 600 gph if I wanted. That will help me get rid on PH and still have good flow in the tank. All my gear is in a seperate room so I have plenty of space. When I get it finished I will complete my thread I started in DIY with some pics. Feels pretty good to do your first DIY doesn't it......;D

10. 1sleeper

1sleeper Astrea Snail

Yup, Im stoked. Brings up a good point. Now I need to figure out what to put in there. It's pretty slow moving, so what do you guys think. Otty, I KNOW you've done the research. Give it up.;D
    BTW, I didn't want to highjack this thread, but this is useful info in the right spot. Right?

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I went with Tangster recomendation to keep calurpa in a slow moving system and mangroves in a fast moving system (also use reverse lighting in the fuge). He said that after a while the mangroves will mature and smell like trees, that will be cool because mommy said the closet stinks. If it doesn't smell like a glad air freshener then she things it stinks. :laughy: My 5 1/2 gal will just OF back into the sump then to the pump chamber. You did make your return pump chamber big didn't you. Mine is 10x12x10 and the water gets pretty close to the pump at day 4 because of evap.

12. Reefer Madness

Reefer Madness Astrea Snail

This seems like a great idea. Has any one tried these baffles. Do the stand up against high pressure. I wouldnt want my fuge to just all break down. That would be a big mess.