Bubbles from my sump!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by BayNights, Feb 2, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BayNights

BayNights Astrea Snail

I recently finished a 55 gallon acrylic hex tank and will post pics soon. Instead of a typical plumbing job at the back of the tank I drilled a hole in the center bottom of the tank and dropped a pipe in. I've built a reef around the pipe and now you can walk around the whole tank to view the reef. The fish seem to love the little reef! I have one problem though. The pipe drops the water into a 35 gallon trash can under the tank where I have the heater, protein skimmer and LARGE return pump (1,300 gph). The pump is sucking up the bubbles from the water falling and dumping them back into the tank. I can't figure out a solution for this problem that traditional sump designs solve with an overflow feature. I'll attach some pics soon, any suggestions would be welcome!! :-/

2. Click Here!

3. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

A cheap way to do it is to get a sponge and attach it some way to the end of the pipe. It will break up the flow and cause less bubbles in your sump. But the problem with the sponge is that you have to clean it often so it doesnt build up nitrates. Now if you can tear your setup down you can always do baffles.. There are some good examples in some of the picture galleries of the members of 3reef.

Marc.

4. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Oh... nylon stokings do the job too... I use one on the return of my skimmer. But again, i have to rince it often.

Marc.

5. BayNights

BayNights Astrea Snail

Sounds great Marc, I'll try out the stocking idea and let you know how it works!

6. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

No problem BayNights. JMHO... maybe someone else on 3reef have different ideas. But the nylon works for me... juste remember to clean it often.

Marc.

Thanks for the karma... right back at you.

7. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

I also recommend nylons.....I had the same micro bubble problem and the nylons took care of it. I have a dollar store next to the house and the sell nylons for dirt cheap. I stock up and just change them out every few weeks after they can't be rinsed anymore.

Sean