Bubble tip anemone split

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by map95003, Nov 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. map95003

map95003 Bubble Tip Anemone

Yesterday while feeding my fish some frozen mysis I gave some to my bubble tip. My hippo tang tried taking some food from the anemone and got stung, he was swimming around for like 5 mins with his mouth open, it was almost like he couldn't control his muscles.

Well today my anemone seemed much smaller than usual, after taking a closer look i realized it has completely split into 2 and half of it was at the back of the tank were I couldn't see it, both pieces seem to be doing ok, hopefully it moves into a better spot.

2. Click Here!

3. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

Hopefully, like a child getting burned by a stove, the hippo will learn. Congrats on your anemones!

4. map95003

Yesterday when I fed my tank, there were only the 2 halves (after the split a few days ago), I just fed my tank and now there are 3 anemones...one of the halves split again, and the other half looks like it will split too...this is very interesting, looks like I'll end up with 4 bubble tips when less than a week ago I only had 1. When I setup my tank I left a space between the rocks and the back glass of my tank, unfortunately where they are situated they are only viewable from the side and back of the tank...I'll have to get a few pics. Is there an easy way to move them?

5. RickGrimes

RickGrimes Spaghetti Worm

Doesnt splitting and moving mean they arent doing well in that area?

6. jossmalo

jossmalo Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have also read on this forum that when an anemone spilts it is often because it is uncomfortable. It could possibly be water parameters or the lights.
    How old is your tank?
    How long have you had the anemone?
    What type of lighting do you have and how old are the bulbs?

Edit: I did some google searching and found that they can either split because your water is near perfect, or they are stressed. So I guess I suggest doing a little look over and if your good, Congrats!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  7. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Anemones reproduce both sexually and asexually. Many well regarded individuals in this hobby have had their nems split. Melev's Reef - BTA split event

It is well reported that anemones also split when they're under stress as a last ditch survival effort. Multiple split events like yours, however, are reported to be due to stress rather than normal reproduction. Make sure your nitrates are 0 and your lighting is adequate for an anemone. How long have you had it and how old is the tank?

8. Click Here!

9. map95003

my tank is 15 months old, my bulbs are ~6 months old 6x54w T5s (5 ATIs and 1 Figi). I tested yesterday, see parms below. I've had the anemone for ~3 months, over that time it got hugh, with the recent splits they are smaller but all 3 look healthy. Hopefully it's splitting because it's doing OK. My tangs got some ich (or what I thought was ich) last week but fight it off, all fish and corals seem to be doing OK.

I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow when my lights come on.

SG: 1.025
    Temp: 78-80
    pH: 8.0-8.2
    Alk: 10 dkh
    Ca: 420
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrate: undetectable
    Phosphate: undetectable
    Mg: 1300

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  10. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Any temp or salinity swings lately?

You're probably fine. Just keep an eye on them. I had one split after a water change once. The bucket slipped and a bunch of water spilled in directly over it. I think that would qualify as a stress event. The second split that occurred much later occurred for no apparent reason.

11. map95003

Here's a pic of my 3 anemones after the split earlier this week. It's not a very good pic because my tank is in-wall and not viewable from the side so I had to take the pic at an angle through the back glass that is not clean.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. map95003

All 3 anemones are eating and seem to be doing OK.