Bubble tip anemone HELP!!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by sjn1282, Jun 15, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sjn1282

sjn1282 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ok thanks. The krill are about the size of a dime so i cut them in half and give him the half. When ever i do i have to keep the clown away from it cuz he will snatch the food out of the nem.

2. Click Here!

3. sjn1282

The krill are shelless too.

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Just saw this- yes, angels will nip corals and nems if they're not getting the proper nutrition. They should be fed a marine angel blend that includes sponge and algae along with a variety of meaty foods. They should also be fed 2+ times per day. Fresh algae growth to nibble on between meals may help, as well. On occasion, one will find an angel that nips inverts regardless of diet, but if the nem was eating and still looks that bad, the angel might very well be the culprit; it's unusual for a sickly nem to eat, IME.

Alfie uk likes this.
  5. sjn1282

Yea woke up this morning and it looks like it doesnt like the cage i setup around it cuz it shrunk down to the rock. I removed that and put the nem in the other tank. It looks like its on its way out so i figured my last attempt will be in the other tank where it wont be bothered. Im gonna monitor it and ill keep everyone up to date. Thanks for the advice. For the angel i see it graze the rocks all day but as for the food i have been doing mysis and marine cuisine with occasonial cyclopeeze for the corals. Should i go buy the spirulina food for it? It eats like crazy when i put what i been putting in.

6. sjn1282

In the new tank i just set the rock in the front with no cover over it like it usually has. I walked back in a little while later and its pointed up toward the light which i think is good. Since its facing up i turned off the flow and put a piece of krill right on its mouth and waited. It started opening its mouth slowly. I must have waited 10 mins watching it. The shrimp started to go in its mouth so i walked away cuz i had to vaccume my bathroom and when i came back the shrimp was gone and the mouth was just about closed! The only problem is i dont know if the nem ate the shrimp in the 5-10 mins it took me to vaccume or if a fish took it out. I only have a anthias and a clarkii in there. The clarkii is a new baby so hes never seen an anemone and they werent attempting it when i was watching so i think he ate it!!! I just put another small piece to see if they go for it and nothing so i want to say yes he ate! Hopefully all this is a good sign and he comes back strong!!

7. sjn1282

Wow its actually starting to eat the piece i put to test the fish too. Can it be overfeed or will it only eat what it can fit and whether its hungry or not?

8. Click Here!

9. sjn1282

The first piece want very big, like half of the tail of the krill. The second was a piece of the middle. I stayed and watch him finish the second piece so i think he did eat the first as well! He has to have a full stomach now. When i got it is was the size of a softball and was heavy when i took it out of the bag and put it in my tank so he should be able to handle that little bit of food no?

10. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Just leave him alone. Stop feeding now and stop moving the nem.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Agreed. Moving it or changing it's environment just adds more stress and should only be done when absolutely necessary. Unfortunately, nems lack the mental capacity to understand that we consider them pets. :)

Alfie uk likes this.