Bubble tip anemone care and tips?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Gexx, Apr 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

i was just wondering on the care of a bubble tip anemone.
    how much do they move?
    where to put under 150w MH lighting? (how high up or down)
    water movement around them? (a lot, little?)
    would it help if i put all my corals (still frags) on the sand until it finds a spot it likes?
    how can i try and find the spot it likes when i put it in?

any tips you guys have is great.
    im planning on trading in a head or two of my lobo brain that i bought to hopefully pay for some of the anemone.

thanks

2. Click Here!

3. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I recently got my first RBTA and I was worried about my corals. There's not too much to suggest as each nem will do what it wants. Mine luckily wandered only a day and then planted its foot in a rock crevice high up in my tank. Fortunately it didn't wander near any of my corals and sting them. It actually just split a day ago, very cool.

One thing I would do is if it puts it foot down where you want it, feed it some shrimp, krill, or silverside. I've heard that nems will stay where it feels the food supply is good. You kinda trick it into believing it's a nice spot so it won't wander. Mine has not moved since and I've fed it every 3 days or so, it seems very happy.

I would suggest moving your corals as it wanders if it does, just keep a watch on it def.

4. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

so all coral to sandbed for a day or so? im gonna get it in the summer so i have time to look at it.

5. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Well what i would do is when it goes in the tank, put it where you want it. Then, keep an eye on it for that day/night, move corals out of the way if it does wander. I know you can't sit there all day, but mine moved a little it's first night in my tank. The next day it went on a long journey up my rocks and ended up where it is now.

I remember my gf texted me "your red jellyfish is wandering all over the place" hah.

Here's where it is in my tank, I had initially put it on a rock on the sandbed. I'm glad it stayed in a place I can see it nicely, def got lucky, I've read some have them end up in the back of the tank which sucks.

Attached Files:

6. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

oh alright. ill get a pick of my tank. my PH is pointed up a little, so there is some movement on one of the higher rocks. im hoping ill be able to buy most of it from the lfs with two medium sized heads of a lobophyllia hemprichii (spelling?) i just got.

7. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

this might be a dumb question but, do the rose bubble tip anemones and the green bubble tip anemones have any different care? i know its just a color morph but still..

8. Click Here!

9. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

GBTA and RBTA are both the same anemone and can be housed together, I had success with that anyway. There are always exceptions to the rule of course. As far as what I do, after they are safely acclimated to the water, I will place the foot on a flat part of a rock to have it anchor on that. The last thing you want it to do is float around the tank, that is when PH disaster will strike. An anemone will only release from a rock if they are not happy with the water quality, they will float to a better area. If lighting is a problem, they will crawl to a better location.
    So my suggestion is to just get it to anchor to a rock, and let it move where it needs to go. That is the drawback of owning an anemone, they can kill eveything in its path while it searches out its home.