Bubble Magus BM-TO1 Doser Review

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by crank2211, Jun 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

Thanks Steve,

The unit came with 10 or so feet of "mini airline tubing". I needed a bit more for my application and found it easily at the lfs. The regular airline fits loosely and would probably be okay if you can't get the mini tubing. You'll probably see different flow rates as well as small pockets of air in the lines near the pumps and will need to adjust if you were mixing and matching . Again, it comes with enough line if you were running a standard sump setup and kept this hanging over or next to it.

I used this: comes with adapters to attach to regular airline tubing:
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. yellojello

yellojello Plankton

I used some airline tubing I had leftover, not sure if it's mini or regular, but it works fine.

The instructions are a little confusing if you just read it, but after you try the steps on the device, there isn't really a lot of stuff to press. Set Clock | Set Pump Schedule | Manual Dose. That's it!

The manual dose doesn't do a measured manual dose, just runs fluid through the pump. Use it to feed the liquid when first starting to take out all the air in the tube.

[​IMG]

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

joined the ranks of the Bubble Magus owners today
    I cant say user as yet, need a translator on the instruction leaflet LOL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got 2 x 2.5 litre containers at same time might get a 3rd in the future for Mag

looking forward to setting it up at the weekend

Steve

5. crank2211

Congratulations Steve,

I think you're really going to like it. The canisters was a nice pickup too, I might look into those as well. At one point I did come across the digital version of the English manual online, but I'm having some trouble finding it again. I have no idea what happened to my copy otherwise I would copy it down for you. It's pretty easy to get setup though. ESC brings up the menu selection - Enter/Up/Down to enter the settings for an individual menu. ESC will back you out of the menus and back to the home screen.

A good tip is once your finished setting up your dosing schedule, to remember to ESC back out to the main menu screen as this process will save your settings and begin dosing properly. If you forget to back out and leave the doser on the "Setup Program" screen, it will remain there not dosing until you back out. I've adjusted mine a couple times and forgot to back out and wondered why I didn't hear it kicking on when it should have.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Steve I assumed you could read Chinese since you live there. :)
    I look forward to your review!

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Thank you crank2211 - Ill remember that , I intend to set up and dose RODI in both cannisters 1st time around, with maybe just 200mls in each cannister, making sure I release just what I want before having the made up solutions in place.

I can understand the spoken language, and speak it, but never learned to read or write it. so my options are A) ask my good lady to read it to me and see if I can make sense of that or B) pass it to my Chinese friend Jack Liu who is more technically adept and excellent at English

Ill try A - but if that fails B will sort it

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I'll look around for this unit. I think this is exactly what I need.

It is all controlled by one power cable, right?

I have problems with available outlets and this would be a plus.

10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

nice review, i think you sold me on it too boss!

11. crank2211

One power cord, correct. The adapter plug is a little bulky, but a nice feature is it swivels - so you can rotate the boxy part around to fit your power strip.

Cool beans, I think you'll like it.

I've had it going now for 7 or 8 months now and haven't had a single issue with it yet. Definitely a great budget auto-doser

12. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

If anyone finds this for the $240 Steve Wright was mentioning on his post at the 3reef radar forum, please point me to it. I can't find this for anything less than $299.99.

I've asked this already in a thread I had started to find a good dosing pump on the pumps forums, but I figured I'll ask here as well:

What's included in the box? Is it just the unit and the mount bracket? What about the little clear bracket that holds the dosing hoses on the edge of the sump?

Thanks for your insight.