Bubble Coral detached from skel. (REGROWING)

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Kevin_E, Nov 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thanks.

That's going to be the difficult part, I fear. I thought I had him in a good location prior to his bail-out. Is your torch regrowing a skeleton?

2. Click Here!

3. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

It's just never opened fully since I got it a few weeks ago,then found euphillia eating flatworms on it,so i fragged off the bad heads,saved what i could,dipped in lugols and coral rx,now just slowly on the mend.But i do have an acan that had polyp bailout on a couple heads,lost one,but the other head is attached to rock and is regrowing a skeletal base with a couple new heads,so there is hope of a comeback.;)

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

That's awesome. For me, the joy of this hobby is watching my frags grow. It's exciting to hear others have had success with bail-outs.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Well after all this time, I found the bubble coral tissue in a hole in the very back of my rock work. It's as brightly colored as ever. I actually found it back there 2 months ago, but it's doing well. I don't know if a skeleton is regrowing or not, but the tissue is healthy. I wonder if it has attached itself to the rock work?

6. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

might have..can ya move it or break the rock..or just let it be?

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I think I'll just let it be for now. I am building a stand for my tank to get it off of my dresser. When I move the tank, I will do some investigating.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Well I finished the stand and plumbing and moved the tank. It was hidden from light for a few weeks so it lost some color.

Miraculously, it attached itself to a snail shell and it HAS started regrowing a skeleton!!!

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I'll get some pics tonight, but when I removed it from the hole, I felt and saw white calcification growing on the snail shell. Pretty neat story. This is a great example of how reefs grow. The need for hard substrate (in this case a snail) is a necessity on a reef. That's why stag-horn and elk-horn are so important to reefs and termed "reef buildings".

11. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thanks. Check back around 6 or 7 for a picture.