Bubble Coral detached from skel. (REGROWING)

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Kevin_E, Nov 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I purchased this bubble for $5, in bad health, in an effort to try and recover it for the LFS. It was slowly melting away (see picture) in his shop and I felt like I would enjoy the challenge of restoring its health. It appeared to be doing well for awhile and looked to be gaining more tissue (doubled in size). Every night, it would deflate and extend it's feeder polyps. However, when I first put it into my tank, I noticed that it was only attached by a small piece of tissue so I placed it in a low flow area.

I noticed this morning that the tissue on the skeleton was gone and the tissue was resting on the sand. It's fully blown up and the mouth is visible and upright. I don't expect it to survive, but I did read about some cases where the tissue bailed it's current skeleton and started to regrow another skeleton (in a more suitable spot?).

It took me by surprise as it looked to be relatively healthy and happy. It gave no warning of deteriorating health issues.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

never know..5.00...just keep it in premo location...target feed some cyclopeze..: )

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Yeah, I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. If it puts out it's feelers tonight, I'll target feed him.

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Polyp bailout indeed. However I'm guessing it was on the verge of doing this when you purchased it and it finally happened to tear away, even if it was recovering.

Interesting situation. If it's doing well and in a spot it likes, this might be the rare situation where it will start regrowing a skeleton and thrive once again.

Best of luck, but there's not much additional you can do at this point.

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thanks. It's putting out its feeder polyps still, so that can't be a bad thing. We'll see what happens.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

It still looks as healthy as it did when it bailed. It don't notice an calcification of a base yet. Should I consider gluing it to a rock?

8. Click Here!

9. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

IMO ..yes...I didnt notice it was not attached...but I have had better luck when any frag is firmly attached to a base of some sort..again..jmo..couldnt hurt.

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

The only reason I have not is because it bailed it's old, self-made, base and I am not sure why. I didn't feel like stressing it with glue.

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Well I glued a rock to a plug and the bubble coral to the rock. I'll place it in the sand bed and see what happens.

12. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Best of luck,i've had a purple torch thats been on a slow road to recovery,but looking a bit better everyday.A good location and alot of patience hopefully will be the key.