Bubble coral- any advice

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by alpha_03, Mar 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

hey Matt what do you feed yours?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. nicodim55

nicodim55 Coral Banded Shrimp

thx alpha 03, the clowns are just regular black and white ocellaris. I'm running 2 250w MH with coralvue for moonlight

4. nicodim55

Thx Matt:) from my experience with bubbles they like medium to high flow and strong lighting. I feed mine pellets;D and sometimes frozen misis

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I feed mine mysis, clams, squid, raw shrimp from the market.

They do not like high flow. You won't get good extension in high flow and you won't ever see its feeder tentacles come out in high flow (I don't mean the tentacle things that come out when the bubbles go in, I mean the 4-5 inch whitish stringy tentacles).

I've had mine in all levels of the tank over the years and after it adjusted was fine. I run under T5 if I didn't say that earlier. The lighter the flow the bigger it'll expand.

tip: When I first got it, I read not to let the bubbles touch rock - so I got all anal about it. Later, I realized it is fine if it is lightly brushing a rock. It will adjust its shape so that it is not eventually...

6. alpha_03

thanks Peredhil, that is what I was guessing, so it's how I placed it- this morning it opened nicely, pretty amazing it can get so big, I wish I had room for it in the 45, as it is mostly a coral tank. I have a colt coral that isnt doing so well- perhaps the giant finger leather is causing this- if I move the colt to the big tank I can relocate the bubble to the 45.

One thing, right now I have it in front of my very large carpet anemone- I watched the anemone with draw from it rather quickly when his curiosity got the better of him, should I move the bubble? looks like the nen didnt like what he touched- mind you he has to reach to get to the bubble.

7. nicodim55

100_0012.jpg

100_0002.jpg

here's what mine looks like in medium high flow. Notice the 2 koralias above? sorry about the blurry pics taken from cell phone.

8. Click Here!

9. alpha_03

thanks nico, yep I see that- once acclimated fully I will try your method- but I wonder, since these critters seem to feed at night using sweeper tenticles, would a high flow area be required?

10. nicodim55

I feed mine when all the lights are on at the same time I feed my fish. Within minutes of the food being introduced in the water, the sweeper tentacles come out and feed. Once that happens I target feed it, I dropped pellets in the bubbles.

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Can you get a pic of the sweepers? Mine only come out (that I notice) a few times a year really... I honestly have a hard time picturing them doing this in high flow.

I don't mean these tentacles when I say sweepers, I mean the thin white ones that get real long.

[​IMG]

EDIT: when you say "pellets" what do you mean? Fish food pellets?

12. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Did you get a physogyra or plesogyra? Here's mine~ It was hosted by the maroon pictured. If you look at it's chin, you will see where the coral stung it. The clownfish kept the coral fed pretty well. Mine also got slammed with metal halide lighting.

As with most lps corals, low to medium flow with a random blast to keep out debris would be the best scenario. Too high of flow, with either plesogyra or physogyra, could damage tissue.

The only time I ever saw sweeper extension(as P is inquiring about) is when the bubble would zap the neighboring birdsnest. When they were smaller, the bubble's sweepers would extend about 3". They would extend, and attach to the birdsnest for varying periods of time.

My bubble coral grew voraciously...

physogyra lichtensteini

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.