Bubble algae?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by sweetriden76, Feb 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sweetriden76

sweetriden76 Coral Banded Shrimp

ok, tanks cycling(since saturday) and I have been watching it like crazy hoping to see anything new, and this wasnt there before, I think its bubble algae, there was some on the LR when I got it, like 3 bubble that I only saw when I was scrubbing the green hair algae off of them(there wasnt much) but I scrapped the bubbles off, and now this little guy appeared, I know the pic is hard to see so I circled it, thats what it looks like to me and I read on here that its not good, but im just happy anything grew, should I get it out or let it go for a little as the tank cycles and just watch for others...anyway let me know what to do with this thing, definatly looks like a bubble the pics arnt the best cause it was about an inch from the lense

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Nemo 22

Nemo 22 Coral Banded Shrimp

that is definently bubble algae.try to pull it out without popping it.bt if you cant just have to either get something that will eat it or just give up and let it be.ive seen people live with it and if grows very big it looks pretty cool.

4. sweetriden76

I can definatly get it, but I figured with nothing in the tank it was something to watch grow, but I dont want it to take over or anything, so I think Ill take it out...thanks...weird how fast it sprung up, like I said I was happy anything grew(my first reef tank 2 days into cycling, youd think I found treasure I was so happy)

5. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

if its green and shinny its bubble algae and your best to rid of it. green emerald mithrax crabs eat bubble algae

6. sweetriden76

yeah, I took it out, the tanks still cycling so nothing can go in it yet, also I have read alot of mixed feelings on emerald crabs and think it may just be a headache in such a small tank, could do some damage

7. Nemo 22

Nemo 22 Coral Banded Shrimp

usually in small tanks they sometimes die of starvation.not enought food so you have to supplement them with things. they will start grabbing things they shouldnt touch if they are starving.i love them tho.probably one of the few crabs ill ever put in my tanks.

8. Click Here!

9. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

hey nemo22
    I had a huge outbreak that to me was a night mare. I can however see that some people may think that its attractive and choose to keep it. However I was not one of thoes people It took 5hrs and dismanteling my rock work to just try and rid of it
    I now have 2 emeralds that are on 12hr rotating shifts LOL
    The main problem that I am aware of is that it can start to grow onto your rock and compete for space / smother your corals so to me its one of thoes things that should go.
    heres a vid of it out of control in my 55gl.

10. argan

argan Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

best bet is to have a diverse clean up crew, I've got 5 species of hermit crab in my tank, and one big turbo snail, and only every see one or two bubble algae for a few days before it gets eaten. not sure who does it but i think its the scarlet hermit or turbo. other hermits are, orange leg, green leg, blue leg, black and white leg. Excuse my laziness for not looking up actual names :p

11. Mannyf50

Mannyf50 Plankton

I just saw the first bubble pop up in my tank.... i have 10 hermit crabs running around i have a 30 gallon tank im hoping they will eat it soon

12. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Yep, get rid of it....