Bubble Algae (Valonia) Solutions

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Matt Rogers, Apr 11, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

yeah, it's a dilemma. I have everything where I want it and I worry about bringing the whole house of cards down by removing a rock or two. fugh.

2. Click Here!

3. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

Matt,

One thing i found that works great is Emerald crabs. After they are gone take them back to the store and trade for come coral.

4. geoxman

geoxman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I had some a while back and my emeralds did nothing, 6, of them. The best way is to cook your rocks that have them on it. JMHO good luck

5. Wendy

Wendy Astrea Snail

I like it!!! (the bubbles that is!)

6. geoxman

geoxman Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

What exactly do you like about velonia? The way it can take over a tank and make it look like a bunch of green alien poop? Or do you prefer it when it is wedged between your corals-making them look like they have huge green muscles? If you are looking for some of that awesome strain of bubble algae-I am quite sure a few reefers will send it free of charge. Good luck and happy reefing:)

7. Wendy

Wendy Astrea Snail

Well, funny you should ask...Because I will tell you.

If it is found in the ocean, it is welcome in my aquarium, of course providing it doesn't have an adverse effect on anything in the tank. I happen to like a "natural" looking environment, versus a sterile controlled one.

A few colonies of velonia won't hurt the aesthetic quality of having a marine aquarium. Let's face it, we chose our little slice of the ocean for it's natural beauty, serenity, and diversity. If it occurs in nature, then "why not"?

Did I adequately answer your question? I hope so.
    Good luck and happy reef keeping to you too!:) :) :)

8. Click Here!

9. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bravo! I posted the same sentiment in another website out of frustration with all the display tanks I saw were the norm there. In addition to having the same Mod Skilter we share the same attitude!

Bubble algae is a pest...the Mithrax crab is a great "natural" way to control it. He will leave a couple of bubbles around and those are welcome in my tank until they start reproducing again. Then he takes care of them. I also allow green hair algae in my tank. Even though the clumps look good when not smothering my corals, I believe that if it all died overnight I would party! I have been trying to starve it to death forever...

1 person likes this.
  10. Wendy

Wendy Astrea Snail

Thanks. It is interesting the variety of things that can safely go in the aquarium. And I enjoy them all.

1 person likes this.
  11. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

ok, as for the bubble algae, if ya like it, leave it be (i liked it at first, then realized its spreading, and now i've got 3 diff kinds of bubble algae)... and the emerald going tribal, ritualistic munching of fish, i read that after the crab handles the bubble algae, you should feed dried seaweed or something (put the seaweed on a veggie clip or put a piece of LR over it on the sandbed)...that SHOULD keep him fed well enough to prevent him from eating the fishies...