Bubble Algae (Valonia) Solutions

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Matt Rogers, Apr 11, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I have a bubble algae problem. ( I believe it's Valonia aegagropila)

Other than an mithrax crab - I've heard they are hit and miss and some have issues with coral and fish - what else is there? :-/

I read here once of someone using a dental tool and a siphon with good results, but that seems a bit tedious. (although I think I will try it.)

I used to have just one or two bubbles around, but lately with halides and more fish (more food) they are spreading big time.

Not as bad as aptasia, but very annoying.

Anything work for you or have you heard of other solutions not mentioned?

I'd love to hear them.

:worried:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  2. Click Here!

3. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

Matt:

My emerald has not been a problem at all! He is rather large for my tank, but as delicate as can be. He will go into my damsel's cave and clean it up, which the damsel does not appreciate, but there is nothing the damsel can do but wait until he leaves! He has not hurt my corals and has controlled the bubble algae very well. He is strictly vegetarian. It is a male, and I am told they are more aggressive than the females...

4. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

My LFS uses E. Mithrax Crab to control their nasty bubble algae problem. The crabs (about 5 in a 75 gal) took care of it in a week or so.

I also did encounter a few on one of my rock before. I didn't know what they were before and I simply pluck them out. :) That was like 6 weeks ago and I just saw some more one this other piece of rock. I am planning to do the same thing to it when I put in my DIY rock. :)

O, yeah, one of the employee I talked to about the E. Mithrax Crab said he had to take his out of his own tank because he caught him/her eating his fish. So, I don't know how safe they really are.

1 person likes this.
  5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks guys. Makes me want to take another look at the crab. I do have gobies and a Royal Gramma though, I'd hate to see him pouncing on them when they sleep. hmmm...

from marine depot live.

from etropicals.

Not many alternatives eh?

6. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

Dsc00222med.jpg

Hard at work...

1 person likes this.
  7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Wow. That's encouraging.

8. Click Here!

9. ragc

ragc Bristle Worm

If you are concerned, you could borrow one, they work pretty fast. Mine ate the the bubbles on his second day in the tank, leaving just one or two. He has been eating the fuzzy stuff since, and I assume, eating whatever bubbles come up that I don't see, although I know of at least one bubble he has not found (it's among my green star polyps, and they cover it up during the day!). Your quotes make me nervous now, but I've had him since January and nothing bad has happened...yet!:worried:

BTW, thanks for the karma...(I just noticed it went up):)

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah perhaps we can start an Emerald Crab Maid Service. :)

My problem is that I have a small tank and things happen fast. :p

I don't like the idea of buying something temporarily...
    BUt I do have friends that seem to want half my stuff, perhaps I can pawn it on them down the road.

No prob. ;)

I'd still like to hear about alternatives if there are any out there.

11. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

I tried the emerald crab... Did the job on the bubble algae and also did his thing on a occelaris. It ate most of its dorsal fin. He was about 1" not counting his legs, just his body. So from that momment i just get rid of them the old fashion way. Pluck them off or pop them. They are fun to pop especially when they get big.

Marc.

12. mallasee

mallasee Astrea Snail

I had a small bubble algae problem in my 75 a few weeks ago. I just removed the "infected" rocks from the tank and popped the bubbles. Then I scrubbed and rinsed the rocks with water from the aquarium into a bucket and none of the bubble algae has returned. It was better than buying something I didnt want and was free.