Bubble Algae, how to get rid of it

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Puffer Chick, Nov 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

I've never used RO/DI water, and I really dont have an algae issue of any sort... I have a few small patches of hair algae on my back glass but thats it.. My chevron tang likes to hover around there for a snack...

:lol: Rent-A-Tang to the rescue!

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

lol guess you got lucky. send over a tang, once it cleans up all my algae you can have it back :D

4. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Puffer, have you ever tested the TDS of your RO? What kind of food are you feeding? How much and how often?

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

never tested for TDS, don't know what that is to be honest. And the RO/DI water comes from the lfs.

I feed frozen brine and mysis shrimp. And i feed once every other day

6. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Have you tried flake food with your clowns? My firefish and Clowns love Oceans Nutrition Reef Flake Food :)

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

nope haven't tried any flake food, frozen is all i have

8. Click Here!

9. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

From what Ive read frozen foods add a lot of nutrients into water, and algae feeds off them. Most LFS have the flake food and its like 3-5 for a small container, Id give it a shot and see if that helps... Whenever I feed flake, my fish go crazy, Its like their drug food or something.

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i'll try to find some when i'm at the lfs tomorrow

11. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I know that I am going to take a serious flaming for what I am about to say but here goes....I personally think that most of the theories on algae growth are a bunch of B.S. You either get it or you don't. I believe it is luck of the draw on what is in the rock you bought. I know people are trying to help, but you hear the same old stuff...Your feeding too much frozen....your algae is eating your phosphates....the list goes on and on. The reason I say this is I spent hours and hours reading and reading. I have damn near starved my animals to death to try to combat GHA, Bubble, Cyano...Not to mention the money spent!! I believe that if you just keep your tank healthy, these things run their course on their own. Ther is too many remedy's that dont work. And NOTHING that proves it does. Spend the money on all that stuff if you want to, and let me know how it works out (This includes Emerald Crabs, which I tried too) My tank is now algae free. All you can do is scrub the rocks, so it doesn't look horrible, until it passes. Once again, JMO! But go read all the horror stories, and failed attempts to erradicate it. Not to mention the hundreds and hundreds of dollars people spend. Patience will pay off....Good Luck!! I mean that. If you want any tips you are welcome to ask anytime. Ok Bring on the flames!!!

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

thank you for the help. Last thing i want to do is spend a ton of money that i don't have to try to fix a problem and it not work. I really do hope patience will make this stuff go away. I think i will still try the emerald crab just to see if it will work, if not he's going to be a nice meal for my puffer. But i think like has been stated i will have to play the patience game once again, i just hope it doesn't take forever :)