BTA Anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Stingray, Apr 5, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

that light looks like it would work great for you and what you are doing

as for the dust issue it realy isn't a problem unless you have a lot of lead paint or somthing else toxic that might be getting turned into dust regularly near your tank as the skimmer will take out the common house hold dust

also I want to ask if this tank is drilled and has a refuge under it if so then go with a skimmer under there that is cappable of skimming 3x to 10x what your tank size is they are usualy way over rated for how we stock our tanks hence the reason why you need to go with a rating so much higher than your tank size also it alows for upgrades in size later down the road

and the skimmer or mechanical filtration will remove any dust that falls into the water so unless you plan on a canopy I wouldn't worrie about it

however I would highly recomend a ato (automatic top off) system for you since a gal or two of evaporation will change the salinity and if you dont have it already a ro filter or ro/di filter that way you are only putting pure water into the tank

2. Click Here!

3. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

double post oops

1 person likes this.
  4. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Cheers tazzy
    No refuge or sump just a plain old filstar 2 cannister filter that came with the tank, i do intend on getting a skimmer along with another hydor koralia 2 for other side of tank,at the moment i purchase r/o water from the lfs but will be investing in one of these units too.

5. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

ahhh ok it would actualy be a good idea to setup a fuge of some sort this will help emensely with nitrate export along with other things that tend to build up in the marine enviroment not to mention hob skimmers and such tend to be kinda ugly and put microbubbles into the tank

6. Stingray

I tend on relying on the live rock & water changes to rid the nitrates, any other way besides using a refugium or sump, at the moment where i live due to lack of space they are a big no no...

7. kimmy

kimmy Feather Duster

I still don't understand the reasoning behind using a canister if you have the proper amount of LR. Is it for chemical media?

8. Click Here!

9. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

canister still provides mechanical filtration a place to use carbon and other bio filtration media and adds flow

still have to remove the doc from your water some how and if you arent runing a skimmer you need to run some other kind of filter

10. Stingray

Nailed on the head Tazzy

11. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

stingray do you have room on the back of your tank if so they make the hang on back fuges that you could use if putting a small 10g fuge underneeth is out of the question

I have seen people do this with the large aquaclear power filter basicly just take out the media and replace with a macro algae like chaeto fairly cheap and nto very big and bulky just need to add a light over it

12. Stingray

No m8 i got 2 and half inch at back of tank, but if i move my cannister filter into another bay i have middle unit 19"x14"x13", will maybe look in to this at sometime when my tank is a bit more matured...