BTA Anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Stingray, Apr 5, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

I dont rember getting the dims on this tank I know you said it was a 55g but is this the standard 55g that is 48"x12"x21" if so then I would actualy make some different recomendations I thaught you were looking at 30" light fixtures wich the bulbs are acutualy 24" usualy

2. Click Here!

3. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

The fixture would be 40" with 30" bulbs

4. Executivelevel

Executivelevel Peppermint Shrimp

i would go with a 48" fixture, i really like the current orbit line of lights, i have the 192 watter on my tank and all is well so far!! check ebay, i found some 4 bulb t5 hos for a descent deal, they were 4x65watts i believe for only like $150

5. Stingray

Problem i have there is my tanks in a alcove & starts arching about 4/6 inch from hood, I think suspended lights would be best 100cm, should fit nicely & snug...

6. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

is this a standard 55 gallon or a 50 gallon? they are two different tanks......

7. Stingray

8. Click Here!

9. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

K, just make sure lights are appropriate length........

10. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

ok if you are shooting for a say 40" fixture max length then you would want to go 36" you would have serious issues finding 30" bulbs only one manufature that I know of that makes them that length

that said you could get a very nice 36" t5 mh lighting set for a realy good price

11. kimmy

kimmy Feather Duster

A few things I haven't seen addressed here yet...
    1. tank is new or not yet set up....need to wait a min of 6 months for an anemone
    2. MH = lots of heat, better have a cooling system (esp if in a canopy)
    3. IMO, watter per gallon is key. 6 to 8 watts per gallon is enough ofr BTA

I personally have a BTA under 440W of PC's getting bigger weekly (my tank is 20"D). I also have Montipora and acropora growing along with xenia's, torch, clams, green bubble, gorgonian, and other stuff. I know people rag on pc's, but I didn't want a chiller (i have a canopy). This is what works for me, no one wants to spend money they don't have to, so think ahead, what is ultimatly going to be in your reef tank? Base your lights on that.

12. Stingray

The tank is 2 weeks old, but like a few have suggested i'm planning ahead now that i know t8 will not be sufficient for anemones, don't worry do not intend on adding any for at least 6 months, seems i will be needing a lot of wattage & 2 or 4 bulbs bulbs hardly do it, so i been looking on the net once again and chanced upon this, 8 bulbs 39w 312watt total, great price, and great reviews, but my question is still unanswered, do i need anything else if i have anything like this to stop any dust etc from getting into the tank.
    Cannot afford Mh so will not even be going there not anywhere in the near future anyway.

Tank is 101x40x50cm, 55 Gallons

8x39W T5 Lighting hanging lamp inst. of halide lamp 100 on eBay, also Lighting, Fish, Pet Supplies, Home Garden (end time 04-May-08 18:03:33 BST)

Stingray.