Bryopsis Removal

Discussion in 'Algae' started by adam, May 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

Not really sure why you boiled the rock. Nitrates are in your water so you should do a water change to reduce nitrates. Maybe too much overfeeding.

2. Click Here!

3. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

I dont know why your worried about your nitrates being 5-10ppm. Thats low and as far as i know, unless you have some form of denitrafication, all tanks contain nitrate

4. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Bryopsis and Nitrates

Before I boiled the 3 rocks to rid them of the bryopsis I had unmeasureable nitrate according to API and Red Sea test. Now I have 5-10. I just rather get it back to 0. Water changes at this level wont really lower much if anything either. I think I just have to wait till the other rock becomes live again.
    Adam

5. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

You had 0 nitrates when you had bryopsis, because your bryopsis were consuming your nitrates. Now that your bryopsis is gone, you have nothing consuming your nitrates! That's why. It's either bryopsis or nitrates: You can have algae growing in your tank, or you can have an algae free system with the downside of doing water changes (which in addition, also keeps the system at a stasis- helping to balance your calcium/pH/alkalinity/magnesium/strontium/etc, etc, etc).

And yes, water changes WILL lower your nitrates at that level. Water changes will lower your nitrates at any level. "The solution to pollution is dilution"

6. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Little Bryopsis Left

I have a couple little patches of the bryopsis left on some rock. I am going to go lighter on the feeding and stop feeding phytoplankton. Maybe get a mexican turbo. I have phosban in my HOB filter. No phosphates detected. I also use kalk to top of water. Water Params are all good. Any more suggestions. I can take out this rock?
    Adam

7. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

yes you can take it out and scrub off the bryopsis just rinse the rock with some tank water and put back in.

8. Click Here!

9. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Bryopsis on rock

I meant to say I can not remove the rocks that the bryopsis is on. The bryopsis is very little now I just want to keep it from spreading.
    Adam

10. rmelvin23

rmelvin23 Skunk Shrimp

You can try the snails, but I have found that if you want something to eat something else they usually do not.

11. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

If it's really Bryopsis, they won't eat it as it will kill them.

12. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Minor Bryopsis Problem

Hey guys I posted before about bryopsis and got some good suggestions just looking for some more. I stopped feeding DT Phytoplankton and wondering if I should only feed fish every other day to see if that also helps. The little bryopsis is on a few of the rocks that are on the sand. I used to have a long spinned urchin but took him out because he got too big. Once a Sea Hare worked great for the problem but then the second time I tried 3 different sea hares and none of them would eat it. Any snails that you guys suggest? Do I need another sea urchin? No nitrates or phosphates detected. Cutting down on lighting period I do not believe will help either. I run MH lights for 10.5 hours a day.