Bryopsis Removal

Discussion in 'Algae' started by adam, May 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Last week I added phosban to my power filter along with 2 new snails, 2 lettuce nudibrachs.

2. Click Here!

3. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Tangster just rid a tank of his of bryopsis, I would PM him if you have any questions...

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Was there a question here? :)

This is what Tangster did:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/algae/new-live-rock-bryopsis-48943-2.html#post448911

Personally I battled this in my last tank. I recall one nearly the size of ping pong ball. Keeping alk/pH up as well as mag seemed to slow it down, but did not kill it off. Nothing did. :p

Emerald crab picked at it occasionally.

That algae is tenacious. Good luck. Do a search. A lot of threads on Bryopsis.

5. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

I apologize as I was writing this last night and fell asleep before finishing what I was writing. Anyway my bryopsis also is gone now.( One day I had a little and the next it was basically gone) I added 2 large snails(Mexican turbo and zebra), 2 lettuce nudebranches, phosban to my power filter. 2 weeks ago I took out 3 pieces of LR about 15 lbs (tank is 46 gallon and had 60 lbs of LR) and scrubbed and boiled them to get rid of 90% of bryopsis. I tested for nitrate and with the API kit and it reads about 5ppm. I always had 0ppm.(No nitrite or ammonia) I think its because of the 15lbs of LR. Should I add a little cured LR or maybe just wait till that rock becomes LR again? How long will it take for my 15 lbs of rock that was boiled to become LR again? Maybe add a clam in the meantime? I have some chaeto in my in-tank refugium but it only gets light from the side of the tank from the 2 150 watt MH bulbs. It is not growing much at all. I think it needs more light. Any good suggestions on what I should do are appreciated! COuld adding Kent Tech M magnesium for a few days when I was trying to get rid of the bryopsis have caused a little nitrate?
    Adam

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  6. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Bryopsis and Nitrate Issues

I apologize as I was writing another thread last night and fell asleep before finishing what I was writing. Anyway my bryopsis problem is gone now.( One day I had a little and the next it was basically gone) I added 2 large snails(Mexican turbo and zebra), 2 lettuce nudebranches, phosban to my power filter. 2 weeks ago I took out 3 pieces of LR about 15 lbs (tank is 46 gallon and had 60 lbs of LR) and scrubbed and boiled them to get rid of 90% of bryopsis. I tested for nitrate and with the API kit and it reads about 5ppm. I always had 0ppm.(No nitrite or ammonia) I think its because of the 15lbs of LR. Should I add a little cured LR or maybe just wait till that rock becomes LR again? How long will it take for my 15 lbs of rock that was boiled to become LR again? Maybe add a clam in the meantime? I have some chaeto in my in-tank refugium but it only gets light from the side of the tank from the 2 150 watt MH bulbs. It is not growing much at all. I think it needs more light. Any good suggestions on what I should do are appreciated! Could adding Kent Tech M magnesium for a few days when I was trying to get rid of the bryopsis have caused a little nitrate? Does anyone here use any sponge for mechanical filtration?
    Adam

7. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

I would add any rock to your tank slowly, that's not 'put it in the tank slowly' I mean a piece at a time over a period of time and check your levels ;D
    Your rock will become live again, but as for how long I do not know. You have a reasonable amount of live rock that you haven't boiled so I don't think it will take long.

Your chaeto will not need bright light, mine is lit by a 9w bulb and grows incredibly quickly.

Your nitrates are ok at 5ppm, however if you do have lots of bryopsis then the test could be giving you a false reading. Check the levels of your top-up water to ensure that it is ok, and do a few water changes if you think your nitrate is too high.

Phosphate is another culprit that you need to look at, again some water changes and maybe running some phosban should help.

The last thing I suppose is how your tank is stocked and what your feeding regime is, this may help to see what you need to change or add in the future.

8. Click Here!

9. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Bryopis and Nitrates

When I had a lot of bryopsis the chaeto would just die. Now that it is gone the chaeto is doing good still not much growth though. I might one mor epiece of LR and see if the nitrate goes down. Also I will add a clam
    Adam

10. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

unless i am mistaken chaeto likes blue light.... could be wrong but i have had excellent growth with mine

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Probably a little spike from the stuff on the LR you boiled. I wouldn't sweat it. Congrats. I hope it's gone!

Start a new thread on the clam and we can take it from there...

1 person likes this.
  12. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Eliminating Bryopsis and Nitrates

Now that I have no bryopsis I have little nitates between 5-10ppm. (API test)
    I boiled about 15 lbs of my 60 lbs. Should I add a new 5 lb piece of LR back into the tank and see if that lowers the nitrates or just wait till my 15 lbs eventually becomes live rock again and then hopefully the nitrates will leave. Any other suggestion? I was told about 1 1/2 months for the dead rock to become Live Rock again.
    Adam