Bryopsis Removal

Discussion in 'Algae' started by adam, May 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Do you think Phosbuster Pro or Rowa Phos could help solve the problem. My phosphate reading is 0 with api. Also do I scrub the rock and put it back into the tank or boil the rock or maybe freeze the rocks then add them back into the tank? I just one to do this one time only.
    Adam

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm not sure that those products would solve the problem but it certainly could help it. I have never heard of anybody freezing or boiling rocks before and it sounds like an awful lot of trouble. Personally, I would pull the rocks that the bryopsis is on out and give them a good soaking in bleach (there's a process but if you're interested, let me know and I'll post how) before putting them back in the tank.

4. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

I am afraid to soak the rocks in bleach. I don't see how you can ever get all the bleach out. I was talking this afternoon to Julian Sprung and he suggested first getting his Phosban just in case my test kit is not reading correctly and getting their kalkwasser and adding 1/4 teaspoon to a 1/4 gallon of water morning and night to keep the ph up and see if that helps the bryopsis.Then I might take out rocks with bryopsis on and replace with new rocks to keep biological filtration. I do not have a sump so I have to add directly to tank in top off water.
    Adam

5. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Bryopsis and Kent Magnesium

I now for 2 days have added 22 capfuls of Tech M in my 46 gallon. I should be at around 1550 for magnesium. I was at 1475. I am still getting the same reading using the Salifert test kit. Anyone else expenience the same thing. I read about just using Epson salt for the magnesium. I might resot to tearing down and scrubbing the rocks and hoping for the best that it does not return. It is difficult to see the bryopsis in this pic.
    Adam

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

how old is your test kit?

how old is your test kit?

7. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

bryopsis and magnesium

My Salifert kit has a sticker that says Feb 2011

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Are you shaking the bottle well before dosing?

10. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Bryopsis and Magnesium

Yes I am shaking the bottle well. I cant explain it except maybe something in the test I am doing wrong.

11. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

don;t know but like your tank. Try new test. Then new additives.

12. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

I don't think Mg. is an algae solution.