Bryopsis Removal

Discussion in 'Algae' started by adam, May 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

from what i understand that is one nasty algae, i would do anything you can to get rid of it, the bilogical filtration will come back with re-addition

2. Click Here!

3. Zectra

Zectra Feather Duster

I wouldn't be worried too much about boiling or cleaning it like that. It will be just fine, i've done it in the past and no problems have come about. The bottom line is, that algae has to come out!

4. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Bryopsis

If I dont boil the rock the bryopsis might still be there hiding inside the rock. If I boil the rock I am afraid that after everything is back in I might get a cycle or worse start having a nitrate problem again.
    Adam

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

New live rock could also harbor bryopsis algae spores. Boiling your existing rock is not going to remove all of the spores from your tank. You need to find another way to rid yourself of this algae.

6. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

bryopsis

What do you think is my best option for removing all the bryopsis algae spores. I just don't want it to be possible for it to return. A few corals even have a few hairs. I assumed that if I removed most of the bryopsis the chaeto in my in-tank refugium would start growing and the remaining bryopsis would start dying. So far the chaeto is not growing or dying.

7. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Bryopsis

I have a 7 watt UV sterizlizer in my tank by JBJ. I was told the sterilized would not help either since the algae is attached to the rock. What do you think?
    Adam

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm not sure that they can be permenantly removed but as has been mentioned in your other threads, there are ways to keep it from growing. Keep your mag levels high, your calcium and alk nice and steady so that ph swings are minimal, run a phosphate reactor, carbon, skim heavily, etc. Have you tested your r.o. water for phosphates to make sure that you don't reintroduce them into your tank when doing water changes?

PS. I have never heard of a UV sterilizer doing much good for keeping algae at bay.

10. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

The two rocks that I have scrubbed and then boiled for 10 minutes are almost white in color and I dont see any algae on them at all. My mag is about 1475 calcium is 420 and alk is 9. PH runs from 7.8 in morning to 8.0 at night I am using phosguard in a powerfilter( I don't see any results from using). I have a aqua c that works very well. I use bottled Ro water that I have tested for phosphates with API liquid and I get a color similar to their 0. Carbon has phosphates so I am not sure its a good idea to be using carbon. Have you had bryopsis yourself? If I boil all the rock do you think I will have a nitrate problem start?
    Adam

11. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

The wierd thing is about 4-5 months ago I had an agae outbreak and I believe it was the same algae and I bought a seahare that ate everything. This time after trying 2 different seahares and now 2 nudeibranches nothing is eating it. I think I was overfeeding which I regret now. I would think with many water changes this problem would correct itself. So far that is not true though.

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Tangster and I had a bryopsis outbreak that pretty much destroyed all of our acros. Our species was bryopsis pennata which is a bit more tenacious than the other species so we had to resort to drastic measures including leaving all of the tank lights off for 2 weeks. We kept our ph close to 9, our alk up to 12, calcium over 500, magnesium well over 2,000, run ferric oxide in a reactor 24/7, run carbon 24/7 (always have), used a commercial algaecide, purchased sea hares and rabbit fish. The only thing that seemed to work was keeping our water levels as previously mentioned and leaving the lights off for 2 weeks while using the algaecide. Not sure if we're out of the woods yet so we won't be adding any corals to the tank again for a while.