Bryopsis Removal

Discussion in 'Algae' started by adam, May 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I ran PH at 8.9 to 9.2 DKH at 18 to 20 Ca at 700 and Mag at 2500 to 3000 ran No M/H and only VHO for 3 months and still did nothing to slow or kill its growth. I know for a fact I had the species called Byropsis Penneta . No animals ate it and we tried them all less the so called specialized slugs reported to maybe help control it ? None to be had and if they had access to them its near to impossible..

So out of a last ditch effort to try and avoiding taking the tank down with my Mag and all parameters still jacked up I cut off all lighting and blasted water flows right at the entire top shelf of the rocks and now dead sps corals that the algae had poisoned off long before the lights off deal . But that killed it off in about 2 weeks I say that looking for signs of new life daily. Starting to cut the old dead sps off of the rocks last week. Thats the bosses job .. But if you have a true case of this stuff good luck and keep use posted I fought it for 1.5 yrs and the Boss had to fight it fro 7 yrs . All from a live rock.. and this is the first tank I ever used a L.R in.

The reported slugs are

Dolabella auricularia
    Elysia subornata Verrill this is supposed to be the better of the two ?

2. Click Here!

3. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

Does this mean you don't use live rock anymore?!

4. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

The other day I removed 3 rocks that had a lot of bryopsis algae on them, scrubbed and boiled the rocks. I removed probably 95% of it. I have a a few little patches on a couple rocks that I did not remove because of damagingthe entire aquascape. I now have chaetomorpha in my in-tank refugium. Should I get a lettuce slug to maybe eat the remaining of it or something else. I did this yesterday so I think it is too soon to say if the existing algae left is going to spread. I do weekly water changes. I have been using a sponge in my power filter along with Seagel(Carbon and Phosguard). Should I keep the sponge or not? I have a Remora skimmer and the tank is 46 bow. I tried before I removed the rock 3 different Sea Hare and none of them ate the bryopsis.
    Thanks,
    Adam

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Well my wife used some L/R in a 55 set up about ? 9 yrs ago thats when it started she then went to a 90 set up .. Well I fought it from Jan 05 till last month after a single little bit was on a scroll coral in away I could not bleach and brush it . I had to break the 90 down it was totally out of control Ozone U/V a ETSS 900 and water changes animals nothing stopped or touched it. I just did the post here the other day..
    But I moved that scroll from the 90 to a temp 40 . Until I got this 180 set up. Well when I moved all the stuff over I knew better as it was showing up around that 40. Well about 8 months in to this 180 it took off entirely covering up some really nice acroporas and Monti and Milli's and well everything . Nothing worked I ran Ph at 9.0 I have the ORP at 450 High Calcium high DKH wet skimming with a bullet 3 water is /was crystal clear several times i came really close to just pouring a few Gals of bleach in there. High Magnesium all of them Chloride to the sulfate based then Kent's mix of them both Tech M and sea chems Mag additive .. several bottle of the commercial algaecide ..

Last month in a last ditche effort to try and not tear it completely down I loaded it up with the algaecide and using a Korellia 4 and a Mag 2400 and a Gen X 40 and a Dolphine 5700 blasting it I cut the lights off ofr 2 weeks or so Thats killed it off ..along with the Mag at 3,000ppm or so .Ca at 600 and DKH at 18 and. Good luck if you have the Byropsis Penneta Like we had ..
    All of ths being said I think IMO if you have a true Byropsis Like I did then its not going anywhere its just a matter of time .

6. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Nudibranch and Bryopsis

I just added last night 2 lettuce nudibranches to my 46 gallon and so far they are not eating the bryopsis. If anybody else has tried nudes please let me know. I tried before this at two separate times sea hares that would not eat it either. 2 weeks ago I pulled out a few rocks and scrubbed then boiled the rocks and got rid of probably 95% of the bryopsis. I just am looking for something to finish the remaining 5%. I know a tang might eat it but I don't want any chance of ick. Has anyone used a foxface for bryopsis? I have a long spinned urchin that does not eat it either. I have only about 15 total (crabs and snails) and a serpent star. Also have chaeto in a in-tank refugium. Still not growing much yet. I am hoping it will now that I removed a lot of the bryoposis.
    Adam

46 gallon bow with 2 oscellaris, 1 fairy wrasse, 1 mandarin, 23 corals(sps,lps,softies,mushrooms)inverts

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Have you been raising your magnesium at all to see if that will help the problem? Keeping your alk and calcium nice and steady?

8. Click Here!

9. Zectra

Zectra Feather Duster

Sounds like you have it pretty much under control to me, I would just let time take it's course now, if you really want to get rid of that little bit let, just clean it off I guess, or just see what happens with all the nudi's and what not.

Good luck with your tank. :D

10. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Nudibranches and Bryopsis

I have a salifert magnesium test kit and Kent Magnesium. I have tested it and come up around 1475. I am not sure if I am doing the test correctly. It seems no matter how much magnesium I add I still get the same results. Should I get some Mexican Turbos?
    Adam

11. Zectra

Zectra Feather Duster

Well, I don't know. My mag runs about that too. I never had any problems like that with my tank though.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Mexican turbos won't eat bryopsis. What kind of magnesium supplement are you adding and how much/how often are you adding it?