Bryopsis Removal

Discussion in 'Algae' started by adam, May 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

I was thinking of taking out each rock out of the tank separtate, scrubbing it then putting in freezer for 2 days. I assume this will kill anything on the rock. I read about doing all the rock at once but then you would have no biological left. What does everybody think of this idea for bryopsis removal. I am currently putting in 4 capfuls of Kent Magnesium and the salifert test kit is giving me a reading of 1470-1485. I think I would have to dump half the bottle to get it to about 1700 where supposedly the bryopsis would start dying. Any good ideas please post. This bryopsis is extremely difficult to eradicate.
    Adam

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I dont know about the freezer idea, never heard of that, but I have heard of boiling the LR. Unless you have more LR in the tank, I wouldnt do all at once deal. Remember that after you nuke the LR and place it back in the tank, you might go through a small cycle. Luna

4. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

DO you think boiling the rock for 5 mins would do it. I'm assuning I wouild scrub the rock first then boil? After adding each piece of rock back into the tank I would add some Bio Spira for the possible cycle

5. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

I am adding Kent Tech M and testing with the Salifert test. I think I am going to have to realy start to oversode that stuff because the Salifert keep reading about 1485. IF this does not work then I might scrubb and boil one rock at a time so as to not hopefully start a new cycle. I will get Bio Spira just in case
    Adam

6. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

My Ph runs from 7.8 in morning to 8.0 at end of lighting. I cannot keep the PH higher. I think I got this from overfeeding with frozen and phytoplankton. I run the MH for 10 hours a day. People have said that reducing the lighting probably wont help either. Wit doing water changes now every 3-4 days it does seem the growth rate is slowing down.
    Adam

7. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

For people that have had to resort to boiling LR, if you do maybe 2 pieces at at a time how long does it take become Live rock again? Lets say I do all the rock in 3 separate removals in a week period, would the Bio Spira be enough to prevent a cycle and do I still have to add some new LR to make the boiled LR work again? I forgot that the other day I brought a piece of the LR to my LFS and a yellow Tang was eating the bryopsis he would pick at it at least. He was a little big and I have a 46 so I was afraid of getting him as I just dont want any ick. I have no quarantine tank either. They said I could get a smaller tang but no guarantee another Tang will eat it. Anybody else have a Tang that ate all the bryopsis? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
    Adam

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  8. Click Here!

9. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

The other day I brought a piece of the LR to my LFS and a yellow Tang was eating the bryopsis he would pick at it at least. He was a little big and I have a 46 so I was afraid of getting him as I just don't want any ick. I have no quarantine tank either. They said I could get a smaller tang but no guarantee another Tang will eat it. Anybody else have a Tang that ate all the bryopsis?
    Adam

10. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Possible ( if you have current fish ) tangs,blennys,turbo snails, etc.
    Try not feeding them thereby forcing them to forage longer / often .

11. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

New Live Rock for Bryopsis

Does anyone think adding New LR is a better idea that boiling existing LR to get rid of the bryopsis. How much new LR can be added at a time as to not make a new cycle? IF I take out the rocks with the most bryopsis and just leave the rocks that have very little bryopsis would that be ok. I have a in-tank refugium with chaeto in their I would think it would grow and prevent the remaining bryopsis from growing any more. Now if I add chaeto it just dies after 1-2 weeks due to the amount of the bryopsis.
    Adam

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  12. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

I have a 46 gallon with 2 oscellaris clowns, a fairy wrasse and a mandarin. DO you think a little Tang would be stressed by the size of the tank or the wrasse?