Bryopsis Control

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Tangster, Aug 31, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I posted your question, lets see if he can give us some insight. I will let you know what his answer is...

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

4. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

His reply:

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Thanks for the update gazog. We are in the middle of our first treatment and have not had any problems with our corals except for what is being caused by the bryopsis. Our lps corals look better than ever and the sps corals that are not being choked by the bryopsis are not bleaching or RTN-ing. If we need a second treatment, I'm hoping that this will continue to be the case!

6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Im glad to here this product is working from personnel experience and from reliable people here on this site. I may need to invest in it if I can't control my byopsis. Keep us informed of how it's working

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

how did your treatments end up? (tangster and amcarrig) Did this product work, kill all the bryopsis? Hurt corals?

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

The remainder of the corals have died as a result of the bryopsis releasing its toxins when it died. The algae is growing back albeit slowly. Other things have taken priority at the moment so we have stopped treatment and are weighing our options. For what it's worth, before the corals died and before other things took priority, the skimmer was pulling out some of the thickest, stinkiest dark green gunk that we've ever seen so it's possible that if we continued treatment, the bryopsis would have stopped growing. We just don't have the time and/or energy to dedicate to the tank at the moment. Fish are all fine so at least there's something.

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

thank you for the update

11. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

A sure fire way to get rid of byropsis is to raise your magnesium to 2000 and keep it there for a week, or as long as it takes to wipe it out. Somepeople have had to go as high as 2200ppm. Anecdotal evidence says it will not harm corals. I won't vouch either way.

"Toxins" in byropsis and all other algae like caulerpa etc.. are not poisonous to animals, they simply taste bad and are a deterrent to fish that would otherwise eat them. I think the treatment killed your coral, dying byropsis has occurred in many tanks without those effects. Nutrient releases are another matter though, and if you had a n ammonia spike that could have been the culprit.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Hi John. We tried the magnesium "trick" to no avail several months ago. From everything that we've heard (from marine biologists and botanists) and read, the bryopsis that we had (b. pennata) is, in fact, toxic. Regardless, we've stopped all treatment and are contemplating breaking the tank down.