Bryopsis Control

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Tangster, Aug 31, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ardo_ski

ardo_ski Peppermint Shrimp

Do you have any SPS? I have heard of some local reefers here in Michigan using the same product and their SPS browned out.

2. Click Here!

3. photo-guy

photo-guy Flamingo Tongue

I've read that the product contains cycloheximide??? Now, I don't know if this is true. All I have is hearsay, second hand info. Please don't assume it's true and please feel free to correct if it's found to be wrong.

Again, not trying to down anything. Just raising some considerations about using herbicides as a possible solution to Tangster's problem.

I have a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry from Purdue University. So such things intrigue me and I enjoy discussing them. The human body works on two big principles: i) electricity, and ii) chemistry. You gotta use some common sense where and how you use a chemical. Of course, it helps a little to know what it is.

I found an MSDS on cycloheximide...

http://www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Cycloheximide-9923627

Read the info on absorption through the skin and possible development toxin to reproduction (fetus?).

Once, again my info is second hand and unconfirmed. Please anyone feel free to update / correct.

Also, I'm just here for entertainment and discussion. Sharing my personal opinions and such. I'm not providing any professional service whatsoever. My opinions aren't necessarily the best opinions worth considering.

Enjoy.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I only wish it was that simple. I have consulted with several marine biologists (one who specializes in marine algaes) regarding the species of bryopsis that I have (bryopsis pennata) and they have all told me that nothing will eat it, except for one particular type of sea hare that is not available for sale in the hobby. I have also consulted with my sister who is a botanist and she has said the same thing. Regardless of this information, I have still tried every type of urchin, fish, sea slug and snail that has been suggested throughout the months and nothing touches it. This particular type of bryopsis is particularly invasive and is plaguing several wild coral reefs as well.

Bryopsis pennata

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Nearly all of our sps corals were killed by the bryopsis. What few are left have not browed out.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Without confirmation from the manufacturor or having the product reverse engineered, I'm not sure whether or not you'll ever be able to confirm this info? Have you contacted the manufacturor?

7. photo-guy

Darnit, darnit, darnit .... and darnit again! I had really big hopes since most people would not have tried urchins in a reef tank!

Thanks for the info Tangster!

Makes sense it would be attacking wild reefs then. Is this stuff from another planet? :) Scary stuff these days!

8. Click Here!

9. photo-guy

Agreed. No, I haven't contacted them. I have only second hand unconfirmed info.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

According to the thread on Reef Central (where the manufacturor is answering questions about this product), this product is made of all natural plant derivatives. Tangster seems to think that it might have barley in it as it's a known natural algaecide but again, unless the manufacturor wants to give away his secret(s), there's no way of really knowing.

11. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I know several that have tried it and have given it rave reviews and most all have nothing but SPS and had no issues at all with brown outs. There is a little bit of information on UltraLith.com and some posts about it on Uberfrags.com. I also know that Mike and Liz at Area 51 Exotics are carrying it so they might have a little bit more information.

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

thanks for posting this info Tangster, I have been fighting bryopsis, don't think it's the same as yours, looks more like a fern leaf, for the past two months. I don't have a big outbreak, but several patches. I have tried everything I can think of, changed bulbs, more flow, pulled it out. Now I have it covered with bubble gum to try to kill it. I will keep this product in mind