BRT LArval rearing system

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by Windy, Feb 27, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Windy

Windy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

BRT LArval rearing system
    I have finished my larval system. It has a BRT (Black round tub) larval tank, hooked to a 50 gal sump and skimmer. The BRT has a central standpipe with a bubble ring on the bottom. This keeps the larva suspended in a kreisel type current and off the wall. The central standpipe can be adjusted for height to control larval volume. The central filter is removable for cleaning and is wrapped in 250 micron cloth. The water delivery to the BRT from the sump is designed to be very slow. I emerges just below the bubble ring and is part of the up flow. My goal is to cycle the larval water every 1-2 days. This a drip at best. The BRT drain is 1/4 tubing and it terminates in the sump above water so I can count the drops to estimate the turnover rate. Both tanks require heaters because of the extremely slow turnover rate.
    I am now waiting to establish the next Neon Goby fry date and I will fill the larval system from the brood stock system and see how it goes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Swisswiss likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Well Windy you knocked it out of the park. Very nicely done. I look forward to update.

Great Job!!!!!!

4. Windy

I have been looking at other BRT systems to see how they place the larval heater. Many place it on the bottom, but complain about larval deaths near it. Others strive to place it near an air stone to keep water moving by it. Some have mounted it on their standpipe. I am going to try another approach. My tub is being wrapped in two 120 volt heating pads. They will be controlled by a Ranco temperature controller. I will post a picture when I get it covered.

SkyFire likes this.
  5. Corailline

Thanks for the update! Will follow.

How many Neon Gobies do you have? Have you ever attempted to raise any other type of larvae?

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

looks great! I'm interested in the answers to Corailline's questions above.

7. Windy

I raised one clutch of clownfish when I was living in Tennessee. That was 1997-1999. Since then I have been in and out of the hobby. Finally, now I am again in my own home and have started up a fish room. It includes a brood stock system with a pair of Blue Neon Gobies that are currently breeding. I have captured some of their larva but my larval system is not ready yet. I have a pair of saddleback clowns and a pair of black Orcellis clowns. Finally a pair of Yellow neon gobies that may not become a pair. That system has a 30 gal DSB tank, a 30 gal frag tank, 4 ea. 20 gal high brood stock tanks, 135 gal grow out tank, a remote ATS and 100 gal sump.

This is a link that may show it better:

[​IMG]

Swisswiss and scajeo like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Impressive Windy to say the least, you have such an interesting set up. Thanks again for sharing.

10. oldfishkeeper

wow, that is quite the set up. Nice work

11. Windy

I had goby fry in my larval snagger this morning meaning, they hatched last night. The last time was Feb 13th or 17 days. That means in 17 days I should have another hatch. The green water is up and running and I get a million type s rotifers tomorrow. I will have the larval system up and running for the next hatch. We will see what happens.

12. oldfishkeeper

really looking forward to watch your progress with these!