BRS Dry Rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by andywyeth07, Feb 1, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. andywyeth07

andywyeth07 Bristle Worm

Has anyone had any experience with BRS dry rock? I'm in the process of setting up a 110g tank. Are there any benefits to getting Fiji, Pukani, Tonga or their saver LR other then what look i'm after?

I figured I would buy 90% DR then go to our local coral farm and get 10% LR to seed the DR. Is this a good idea?

2. Click Here!

3. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Nope. All good stuff. Just depends on what you like. You only need one small rock to seed your tank.

4. Ford101

Ford101 Fire Shrimp

i did this as well, my dry rock is quickly turning purple too thanks to the seed rock. i went with the reef saver rock since their is no curing needed to rid it of dead material and phosphates. I just rinsed mine off in RO/RI water and dropped it on in! the reef saver is great for rock work too and sticking frag plugs in since its so porous. and if your in a group buy its even cheaper then it already is!

5. tonythereefer

tonythereefer Fire Shrimp

The pukani rock is great cause its even more porous than the reef saver rock therefore you need less in you tank, they come is nice big sizes and are easy to chisel and break to make any aquascape you want

The only problem with the pukani is that it will leech phosphates this is the only I regret about getting pukani

6. junior279

junior279 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I used BRS reef saver rock and Dr. Tims one and only and my tank cycled in about 10 days. The good thing was no hitchhikers.

7. Reef2Keep

Reef2Keep Purple Spiny Lobster

The pukani and reef saver are both awesome rock. I started my tank with both. I did, however, cure the pukani for 6 weeks...it had a good amount of dead organics on it. Dry rock is definitely the best bang for your buck, you can't go wrong with any of the BRS rock:)

8. Click Here!

9. andywyeth07

andywyeth07 Bristle Worm

I think I've decided to order 120lbs of BRS saver rock. Is this too little or too much? I've seen some reviews saying the rock goes a long way but I've also seen some that say the opposite.

10. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Probably to much. You could do 100 lb.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I'd prob keep the order as is, its prob too much for your DT, but you can use the extra for your fuge and for fragging corals;)

12. andywyeth07

andywyeth07 Bristle Worm

Thanks for all the advise.

I ended up ordering 100 lbs of BRS saver rock. Couldn't go wrong with the price :)

Now I just have to wait until 2/8 when the LFS has their semi-annual tank sale to pick up my tank. Its almost 50% off and hopefully the stand and canopy will come in within the next few weeks.