BRS Drinking & Reef Plus System

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Alohastate335i, Apr 23, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Alohastate335i

Alohastate335i Fire Worm

Hey guys I need your help... I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on my first RO/DI system the BRS 5 Stage Drinking & Reef Plus RO/DI System -75Gal but I had a few questions.

If I plan on using the system mostly for drinking water and then the regular water changes and topoff, would I be better off getting the drinking system or should I just get the regular RO/DI system and install a Tee fitting before the DI canister when I want drinking water?

Thanks for your help in advance!!

2. Click Here!

3. dimpthepimp

dimpthepimp Bristle Worm

I think you have to get the tank that has a bladder if you want drinking water with the faucet on the sink.

I wanted the same thing so im going to get the whole package to also run to the refrigerator.

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Go with the drinking water system, as you will need the bladder tank as mentioned.

5. Alohastate335i

Alohastate335i Fire Worm

Thanks for the quick replies. What if I just want to fill a 5 gallon container with ro water for a stand-alone water dispenser, would you still recommend the drinking system with bladder tank?

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I suppose if you don't mind the work to fill said container. It will take over 1.5 hours to fill a 5 gallon container. Do you have a cooler that uses 5 gallon jugs?

7. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

I'd recommend a spectrapure unit using a valve to bypass the DI canisters.

8. Click Here!

9. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Go with a real reef quality RO/DI and add a drinking water kit. It is less expensive and will get you better filters and better water quality.
    My suggestion is the $130 refurbished RO/DI from Spectrapure with the 1.0 micron sediment and carbon block filters, 90 GPD treated and batch tested high rejection rate RO membrane and custom blended DI resin in a full size vertical 20 oz canister and cartridge. Add to that the add on drinking water kit from Welcome to Purely H2O! for only $59 and you have a much better system with much less invested.
    The two things I would add are an inline check valve to separate the pressurized drinking water from the DI circuit and a handheld TDS meter which any RO/DI owner should have anyway.
    You would plumb it like this diagram, notice the placement of the check valve so the RO drinking and DI are separated.
    http://spectrapure.com/huds/4-STAGE-DWK-RODI-NAG.pdf

10. Alohastate335i

Alohastate335i Fire Worm

yeah, the water dispenser I use has 5 gallon jug underneath.

11. Alohastate335i

Alohastate335i Fire Worm

Thanks for the advice and leading me into that direction. I think I will go this route as it's saving me around $100 but let me get this right first.

Everything I'll need:
    Spetrapure Refurbished RO/DI system
    Purely H2O! drinking water kit
    Inline check valve (spectrapure?)
    and a TDS Meter?

12. Alohastate335i

Alohastate335i Fire Worm

This route sounds good too. What valve would you recommend and from where?