browning undersides moving to all over?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Shackman23, Sep 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

So as you guys all know im doing a solid sps system, and everything is going great except some of my acros, not all of them, basically whats happening is the stem portions started turning brown, no biggie the stems dont get much light so i shrugged it off, now im seeing one of them is starting to creep on the whole deal, i have 2 of the exact same acro and only one is like this, but im now seeing my other one starting to actually turn white on the underside of it but the actual piece is turning solid blue when before it was just tips tgat were blue? Its got me baffled... :confused:
    Parameters
    Ph 8.3
    Salinity 1.025
    Cal 450
    Mg 1350
    Alk 11
    Trate 0
    Trite 0
    Amm 0

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I can not speak to the LED lighting, but I am pretty sure everyone will want to know your phosphate level, any type of bio-pellets, GFO and such. An image always helps too.

4. Shackman23

I knew i missed something, phosphates are zero, and i am running biopellets currently, the underside of the branches look to be turning white, and the bases, is it due to light? And the one browning is it not getting enough light or flow?

5. Shackman23

And a picture is really hard to grab bc i glued my corals down.. Every morning when my lights kick on they have full polyp extension and look great, im just hoping i dont have flat worms, bc a guy i bought a milli from had a small seperate tank with them in it and it made me very nervous bc if he has them in one chances are he will in all of his tanks..:-/

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I will say this, my acropora in shaded areas ( base and lower branches) are white, cream colored or brownish in the shaded areas. As long as they show good PE and are growing I would not be too concerned. Acropora IMO take along time to acclimate to lighting (months) sometimes and the coloration goes through phases.

Just curious are you feeding them?

7. Shackman23

Yup i only have on thing right now, and not quite sure the best time to feed yet but its been rotifeast and marine snow blended, and turkey basted around, i dont get quite the feeding response of lps or an anemone the polyps dont retract or anything so wether or not they eat im not sure