Browned Out Acro

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Camkha1234, Apr 24, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

So I've had a Strawberry Shortcake Acro for 19 days and bought it as a brown out piece. I've noticed basically no change since I bought it. There's not really any polyp extension and it hasn't colored up at all. I know it usually takes a while for a browned out coral to color up, but should I be noticing anything by now? It's in relatively high light and flow.

Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Not necessarily. Depending on the differences in water chemistry, flow and light, why it was browned and how long it was exposed to those conditions, etc., etc., etc., it can take quite some time for a coral to fully adjust to it's new environment and start showing positive response. As long as you're not seeing any bleaching or tissue recession, I would suggest that you leave it alone and let it acclimate.

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

19 days?

It could take over a year :)

SPS is a patient game. :D

5. Camkha1234

Great to know, guys. I'll just keep my params stable and keep monitoring it to see how it does. Thanks :D

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I'm sure it will color up. I bought a browned out tenuis 2 months ago and now it's a nice teal color but I get no polyp extension at all. My ORA red planet right next to it and my birds nest are as fuzzy as can be. Weird. Top shelf cut off a piece of the red planet from there small sps tank by the door.

7. Camkha1234

Yeah I got this piece at Top Shelf as well. They had a huge colony of SSC and fragged it up. Great to know! :) I'll keep an eye on it.

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I've been bugging them for awhile now so they finally cut me a piece. The red planet is one of my favorite pieces. I got some sweet chalices too. Nice ORA supernatural montipora, Jedi mind trick and two tone chalice. I love that place.

10. Camkha1234

Yeah it's great. They were telling me about fragging their RP. I may end up getting a part time job there over the summer :D We'll see. And I need to see the pieces you got!

11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I'll show you pics this weekend bro. I can't post pics on here due to a bug on the site.

12. Camkha1234

Sounds good. I'll text you Saturday morning to meet up ;)