Brown setelment aournd the mixing bin??

Discussion in 'Salt' started by turbokimmees, Dec 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. turbokimmees

turbokimmees Astrea Snail

Hi, a friend of my give me his 4gallons bucket H2Ocean Salt mix that about a year old. (He quit the hobby and sold all this equipment) ...the Salt mix was seal and keep in the house nice and dry. This is my first time using this H2Ocean salt mix.

After I mix it in my 40 Gallons bin it seem to be nice and clear...with heater and a power head. After a couple of days after mix ...I went to make the water change on my 65G main tank and notice that my new H2Ocean saltwater mix in my 40 G bin have some kind of brown/dusty settlement stuck all around the mixing bin! it felt like some kind of sand/calcium from hard water...ect...can't really describe it. But the water was clear every thing tested and seem ok. I was wondering if this is normal? because I use to have some other brand of salt and never see this happen before... I went ahead and use this mix any ways. Don't really notice much of a difference...after it went in the tank there is no more of that brown stuff any where....can any one tell me what it is...good/bad/how and why??

Thanks for the info. =)

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

turbokimmees

the brown type settlement you saw is very likely calcium carbonate deposits ( the lime scalling you get on water pipes in hard water areas is exactly the same thing)
    and it is typical with many salt mixes , although IME I normally use a bucket or mixing tub a few months before it becomes noticeable
    I have no issues using water mixed in these conditions, and only periodically scrub mine out to remove the build up that occurs over time

Steve

4. turbokimmees

turbokimmees Astrea Snail

ok..thank you..I used instance ocean mix and never see this until i mix the h2ocean.. i use rodi water and usually i don't let my salt mix sitting that long...may be a week at the most. Is it ok to leave the mixed salt water sitting far 2 weeks or longer?

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid