Brown/Hair Algea

Discussion in 'Algae' started by david, Jul 3, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Just to be clear..... a Diatom Filter....
    If that is what I think it is , it is a diatomaceous earth (or DE) filter(of which the irony is not lost on me being the media for this filter is made of dead diatoms ;) I have one on my pool. It filters down to 1 micron.
    I don't believe it is being sold as a filter to remove diatoms specifically, is it?

What else will a 1 micron filter remove? Anything important? Iron, supplements? plankton, suspended food particles, and detrius?
    I am just curious.....

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

BL,

The filter I was referring to is just a mechanical filter that filters out really small particles and is specifically made for aquarium use.  Not sure if they use DE actually, but the links that John ( Fletch ) posted give some desciption.

These things will remove all particulate matter that is suspended in the water, and very quickly.  

So when the friends/ family are coming over for the day and the tank needs to look it's best, just whack on the filter and voila, crystal clear water.

Now for the important part.  Is it hot over there?  If so, can I come over for a swim? :)

John

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Umm, yes it is disgustingly hot here, very humid....
    It's only a 15 foot round pool....If you wanna fly around the world to take a swim , feel free!!! ;D
    Just know, I live less than 2 hours away from DC, NYC, and North NJ, all of which have just been put on Orange Elevated Terror alert, so .... we may get bombed.... :-/

No worries.... :D :D at least we will be cooooool

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Well, it's bloody freezing here and I would risk a bomb zone for some warmer weather :)

John

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Now, I know I am going to sound like a moron, but.....

I didn't think it got that cold "down under"!!!!! Got snow?

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

It's a matter of perspective I guess :)

It doesn't snow in Melbourne, as such, but it hovers around 10o C most days and night. Just grey day after grey day. Roll on Spring :)

John

8. Click Here!

9. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Wow that's way colder than I ever believed AU. ever got!
    What do all the croc's do hibernate?

10. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

David,

LOL, a common misconception I am afraid :)

It gets cold here in Winter and often gets near freezing. I live right down the bottom of the country ( south ) and the crocs live right up near the top ( north ) and that's the way I like it :)

John