Brown/Hair Algea

Discussion in 'Algae' started by david, Jul 3, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I'll not share my opinion of Albert Thiel. However, I won't dismiss his opinions either.

Regardless, John is giving a lot of great info and you should read it. Silica is one of the first contaminants to leak past RO/DI. This is because silica is loosely bound to the resins, so when stronger binding materials come in, the silicates will lose their place and start to break free of the exhausting resin.

Silica is found in 3 forms: reactive, colloidal & suspended particles. The colloidal silica causes problems when it comes to water treatment because of its stability as an un-ionized compound....the difficulty is in removal by means of ion-exchange processes. Silica breakthrough (as mentioned just before) is usually the first to occur, and the use of reverse osmosis prior to deionization aids the process by reducing the silica load on the resins. As a side note, some think silicone dioxide (SiO2) is a challenge due to a similarity of H2O.

Here's the nitty gritty of it all.

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Inwall,

My post was really just for interest sake, to offer some differing opinions and open the discussion a little.

The constant discussion and concern about silicates and diatoms always makes me smile a bit as my normal reaction is " so what " :) By that I mean Silicate is one of those ever present things that you can't do much about and really shouldn't be of any concern at all. So what if you get a diatom bloom?

Please don't misunderstand me, I am interested, I just think that the whole diatom "problem" is purely cosmetic as they do no harm, except make the sand and glass go brown.

John :)

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Yah, I don't worry much about silica. I don't mind the diatoms, when they get too bad, i just do a water change to lower the levels of it and a quick scrape (that stuff is so easy to take care of). I have some sponges that need it, and I've been told the diatoms can actually serve as food for some critters.

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Yeah Gresham exactly right :)

It is important the everyone knows about Diatoms, what they are and what makes them 'tick', but I think sometimes we try to over engineer our tanks and play god. I guess it's not just diatoms either aye :)

John

6. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Thanks guys,
    so the brown diatoms are not harmful to the tank I thought they were bad and I am seeing a reduction in hair algae so I guess I can let the diatoms run there course is this true?

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

David,

The Diatoms probably have run their course and you should not be at all concerned.  Did you end up using a Silica or Phos remover?

John

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Green algae, diatoms, cyano bacteria are all part of the tank maturation process. As you are adding livestock and your tank is in a state of flux you may see a recurrance of one or more of these stages.

No need to panic as patience is the name of the game here, eh?

10. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Sorry guys I haven't been alive this week I worked
    7 straight 12 HRS. days and my relief called in sick on one of them so I pulled a sixteen that day so really I haven't done anything.
    I have been running some phos-ban in the bio-wheel nothing to remove silicates though. I have been changing 6or seven gallons of water every seven days I open the flu-val every month and I throw away the floss on the bottom and use the 2nd tray of floss for the bottom and add new floss to the 2nd tray the top is bio-maxx ceramic so I leave it be. Is this a good way to have the canister packed? Seems to be working. As for the sand it is a mix of crushed coral on the bottom pink Samoa and live sand on that to equal roughly 4 inches. and when I change the water I either vacuum the gravel or do the mentioned before method of cleaning the glass with a pad and sucking out any loose algae.
    Thanks so much for all the info everybody I just layed down $200.00 on a new $400.00 digital camera $200.00 more to go I'll maybe get it this week or next then I'll post a pic of this nasty stuff I hope it's gone by then. I want white sand again :'(

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Sounds like a good routine to me if you aren't disturbing the sand a lot when vacuuming and doing too much at once. Does that make sense?

Anyway, man you are working your butt off! Hope you get some rest David! You deserve it.

12. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

I just ordered a silica test kit as no lfs around here has one ha-ha
    I live in po-dunk.
    I am a little more relaxed now that I know the diatoms are harmless but I don't think they have run their course by any means I must be putting them in. I can't wait to test my water!!
    Now I have a new problem check it out in the asap post anemone war!!