Brown hair algae

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Kamel, Oct 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kamel

Kamel Astrea Snail

I've seen brown hair algae, but this particular kind is new to me. I tried googling for it but all I see are generic with the nasty brown stuff.

At any rate, the major difference between these and most is they seem to have a stalk and then branches at the top like mini trees or aiptasia. I recently went through a major red slime battle (ugh, it was my fault but I digress) which resulted in a long period of lights off and 2 doses of red slime remover. My understanding of red slime remover is that it is an antibiotic of sorts. Due to this, I think my tank might be doing another cycle as many new forms of algae are popping up that I haven't seen before. Did have some brown diatom bloom but it's actually subsided all on its own in short order.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again for all of your help!

2. Click Here!

3. Kamel

Kamel Astrea Snail

After asking around and searching bit more, I think these might be hydroids. Can anyone help confirm this?

4. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Yep, they are the nuisance hydroid Myrionema and they can be a serious problem. If you can take the rock out an put it out in the sun for a couple of weeks you should becasue they will spread like this.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  5. Kamel

Kamel Astrea Snail

@_@ that sucks. Thanks for the info and positive ID. I think I'll start with just giving them a good scrub and see if they come back because as of now they are pretty isolated to just a couple of rocks.