Brown Cyano Algae Problem on sand

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Zoanthids21, Apr 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

I am running carbon..

Ill do a water change soon 2marow or saturday. But it is very strange that im just getting it now, i have just started testing for phophate so its really weird...If im doing weekly water changes is that okay enough to keep it out? and i get water from LFS and they have 0 TDS

2. Click Here!

3. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

Yeah, I wasn't trying to cause the guy panic, so I chose the word moderate. I am under the assumption he doesn't have any SPS corals.

It's not dino is it?

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

If cyano, then nothing to panic about. A pic could help to identify. Assuming cyano, cyano is harmless, just ugly. Water changes and such can help. However, how do you now your LFS is 0tds, do you test it, or do they? Anyways, GFO should bring the PO4 down fairly quick. Also, just make sure there is no detritus settling. This will tend to feed cyano as well.

I don't think it is surprising. Haven't you been fighting nitrates? You say they are now 0. When nitrates and phosphates are high, micro algae, bacteria etc.. grow. When nitrates get down to limiting levels, they can not grow anymore and cyano, which does not require nitrate can now out compete them. Happens often, but means your almost there. Get rid of the PO4 and cyano and your tank should be in very good shape :)

5. Zoanthids21

I have 3 SPS coral growing very nicely. Blue Birdsnest, red monti,green monti.

6. trijam

trijam Coral Banded Shrimp

Get a TLF 150 reactor and run Rowaphos. Syphon what you can during WC and reduce feedings for a couple of weeks. Also watch during feedings for dead spots that uneaten food will gather and become detritus which is feeding the cyano you then can adjust your flow. JM2C ;)

7. Zoanthids21

I adjusted flow yesterday, i will stop slow feeding down to every 2 days.

8. Click Here!

9. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

+1 phosphates remember that is what you are seeing but the algae is hiding more;)