Brown carpet diatom algae????????????

Discussion in 'Algae' started by jenkins2212, Jul 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

I have brown algae on my sand as well. At first I thought it was diatoms, now i know it's cyano... you sure it's diatoms? any bubbles? Does it form sheets/strands?

2. Click Here!

3. jenkins2212

jenkins2212 Plankton

it comes in sheets!!!! No bubbles just thick sheets

4. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

Maybe it would be a good idea to either add a fuge and put some macro algae in there or just add some to your display tank. The macro algae will compete for nutrients with the brown algae.

5. Fujin

Fujin Feather Duster

I have cheato in my DT and I think it works Great! I don't know why more people don't put macros right in their tanks.

6. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

Yeah, plus if you don't like the way it looks either plumb in a refugium or just hide the chaeto in an area where it gets light.

7. jenkins2212

jenkins2212 Plankton

yea someone suggested doing that and i could get some and put it behind my rock somewhere. Wheres the best place to get some?

8. Click Here!

9. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

I say reefcleaners.org they have chaeto and a ton of other macro algae that you might like.

10. Vancop

Vancop Skunk Shrimp

I have been having the same problem since Jan 09...all parameters are great ....and in both of my tanks ....looks like brown hair algae to me...but I'm still learning. the difference for me is that I use DI water only and my top-off is tap water, which I know is VERY HIGH in Silicates. I tested it many times and it reads .25+ where the local water I buy tests at about .4 siicates. I have so much brown that my fuge can't get started due to the covering of Brown.

I have very few corals...and the snails will last about 1-2 months. They cannot keep up with the growth I assume and the Sea Hare doesn't seem interested in eating it either. I have to clean the glass daily and the filters 2 times a week.

My next step is to purchase a full on RO/DI unit with the High S ( Siicate ) filter. I am hoping that this will sove my problem. All my lights were new in January ( 6x54 T-5 on the 90 gallon and 4X96 Watt PC Atenic 3 250 watt Halide on the 125 gallon ) both tanks having the same problems .

My calcium is running 520 no dosing and Alk at 11 all the rest are great parameters. I do have an issue keeping the Iodide up to par, but I am aware of it and dose accordingly ( after testing weekly).

I have since stripped the fuge and will start it all over as it will not grow much due to the algae covering it and blocking the lights ( IMO ). I am sure this is a high silicate issue and will address it with the new filtration and top-off. I hope ....this is a last ditch effort for me ...been dealing with it for about 4 months now ......and it not getting cheaper !!

hope this helps some

11. coopdogyo

coopdogyo Feather Duster

i am having the same problem for me when i try to break it up it stays together in little clumps and comes back in hours