brown algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Guest, Dec 18, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billy31422

billy31422 Feather Duster

it is the type with the filter but the filter hasnt been in it for at least a year. i just use it for the return from sump and the bio-wheel. if nitrates and nitrites are high what should i do about them

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

OK,

I was just thinking about your experience of the brown algae coming and then going away which caused all the questions :) I have more though, but maybe a bit later.

There are only a few ways to lower Nitates. Either reduce the input by reduction of live stock or feeding. Increase the biology by adding more rock or the size of your fuge. Using a Nitate remover.

Having said that however, I guess you really need to do those tests first.

In the mean time it would be a good idea to let us know how much livestock you have and perhaps an estimate of how much rock.

John

4. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

do some water changes as well, how often do you that?how much?

5. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

I also go with what JohnO said. I also think the brown thing might be a cyano variant and not diatom algae especially if you use RO/DI water.

6. billy31422

everything tests good, made a water change. before i did the water change i noticed it was getting better adn it has continually got better. i guess i wasnt patient enough i thought it would go away on its own as it has before. this happens once a year it seems. thank you all for your help.

7. billy31422

also i only turned the lights on as little as possible fjor a few days it seemed to help

8. Click Here!

9. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

do you have any clean up crew?they will help as well and more water changes.how about tangs?I have 8 yellow tangs in my tank and they take care of the brown algae on the rocks and the crabs do a good job too ,the snails take care of the walls.

10. geologeek

geologeek Fire Worm

It unclear to me if you use RO/DI water or not, if you are using tap water these periods of brown algal growth may coincide with the water boards dosing the supply lines (ours do to combat the lead within the pipes).

or is there anything that you add to the tank that may introduce silicates which may account for the growth.