Unresolved Brookynella now what

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by jdameli1, Dec 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

Last week I had a new pair of clowns die in qt from brookynella, it happened within 2 days. So I vinegared the qt and let it dry for a few days took rock from my dt let it set all week, no cycle, so I brought home a powder blue tang yesterday and he has been doing great eating already,

But now it seems my clown who I have had since June in another tank has come down with brookynella, rapid breathing and extra mucous, swimming up top.

I know I didn't use anything the same between the two tanks, and I really haven't done anything to this tank in over a month, but doing top offs and 20percent water changes everyother week, I can't even remember the last time I had my hands in this tank. I've had so many issues setting up my 220 gal and with my other 72 gal, this tank was rock solid. Water params are all good. But now what do I do? I have a fish in qt, that I don't want to expose it to, but how else do I treat? This is my reef tank, I wish it was the fowlr

Fellow tank mates are a fairy wrasse fox face Chromis and scooter blenny

2. Click Here!

3. dees reef

dees reef Feather Duster

Everything I have read suggests hyposalinity is the only way to break the life cycle of brookynella. However, bookynella will not affect all fish. Good health, diet, and no stress factors help alot. If the other tanks have not been contaminated then I would qt the clowns for eight weeks, then if no signs of brookynella put them in another tank. I had a tank with brookynella I tore it down let it sit, then cleaned with bleach. set it back up. qt'd my clowns, and they still got it. Also only buying tank raised clown's will help alot.

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Do you have any formalin and an air pump?

5. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

Yes, I have been doing formalin dips but I have to keep putting him back in the dt because of having other fish in qt.

Should I be treating all?

6. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

all of the fish from the same lfs?

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

No, most are from a different. This tank has been completely fine with no additions in the last few months. I had 2 new clowns in qt that came down with brookynella, and died within 24 hours of coming from the lfs. Somewhere I must have cross contaminated the tanks, although I don't know how qt tank is upstairs and this one down. And I didn't use anything on one tank and then the other.

I have done 2 formalin dips on all of the fish, but the foxface wrasse scooter and Chromis are not affected and the clown is doing fine now also remained eating, breathing normally

My real question is because I can't keep the dt empty for 6 weeks, is the parasite just going to keep infecting the clown? Would a uv steralizer help? Everything I have read says it is a free swimming protozoan.

Also do I keep dipping the unaffected fish?

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes the fish will continue to become re-infected, dipping it and returning it to the same tank is of no value IMO. Formalin is a good treatment used once of twice but extremely toxic to the fish as well over time.

A UV sterilizer sounds like the best route to go at this point considering your cirucumstances.

Good luck

11. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

So a uv sterilizer is effective against brookynella? More so then ich?

I bought another small 15 gal qt tank. I can't fit a bigger one, I will do one final dip, and then leave him in qt. But I can't put all of the fish that aren't showing symptoms of it, so if a uv would rid the tank, I'll go buy one on sunday

12. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

quite possible that ur LFS just downright sucks. hypo is always the way to go IMO, and formalin dips might stress the fish out too much so be careful with that. Hypo enabled all my fish to get better from ick so I'm recommending it more then anything. Only problem is that your tank should be cycled but seeing that the clownfish is a pretty hardy species it should be fine with some ammonia, givn that at least partial water changes are done DAILY until the brookynella disappears. thinking more so the fish is already stressed so ammonia might give it more stress; worth a shot anyway. Good luck; hope your clown makes it